Portland Thorns FC forward Tiffany Weimer has traveled the world suiting up for clubs in Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, and Sweden. Now, the Connecticut native has returned to the United States to play for the Thorns.
Recently, the New Haven Register highlighted some of Weimer’s globe-trotting adventures in a feature available on their website. Check it out here.
Continuing the new tradition of the presentation of roses following Thorns games to the goal scorers and goalkeeper who achieved a shutout, Girls, Inc. has been sending participants from their great youth programs to meet players after the game and hand them the roses in front of the North End supporters. For an organization that looks to inspire girls to be strong, smart and bold, it's truly a special moment after the match.
July 6 vs. Western New York Flash - Bella Schaeffer
7th grade, D
How did you like today?
I had a lot of fun. It was really fun to sit up in the stands with my dad and being in the shade and coming down here into the field and giving roses to Meleana Shim.
What was your favorite part of the day?
Probably giving roses and saying hi to the coach again. I met her from other events and it was really fun to see her again.
Is this your first Thorns game?
No, I have been to two others.
Do you have a favorite player?
I like all of them, but probably the goalie if I were to choose one because she is just really amazing and I like her hair too.
What makes you strong?
What makes me strong is that I always stop and think about things before I do them. I am also strong physically because I do dance and it helps my muscles.
What makes you smart?
I have struggled with ADHD my whole life so that made my brain smarter, if that makes sense. It helps a lot.
What makes you bold?
I usually stand out in a crowd most of the time because I think I am unique and I have really curly hair.
Have you ever played soccer?
I did it for 2-3 years and it was fun but I had other stuff going on.
Now you’re dancing?
Yes I am. I do ballet and jazz.
What is your favorite part about dancing?
I like being really graceful and I have always wanted to fly and that is the closest to flying I can get.
“She Flies With Her Own Wings” is the English translation of the official state motto of Oregon. It has also been adopted as a team motto for Portland Thorns FC used throughout a new billboard campaign across Portland. The Thorns want to know what the phrase “She Flies With Her Own Wings” means to you and we're launching a new Pinterest page for you to tell us.
Create a Pinterest board that embodies what the phrase “She Flies With Her Own Wings” means to you and you could win an autographed Thorns FC jersey, tickets to a regular-season Thorns FC match and autograph vouchers for a home match.
And, with the new Pinterest page launching, contest participants will have the opportunity to fill the new Thorns boards with inventive, creative and inspiring posts..
To be eligible to win, the boards must meet the following criteria:
- Board must have a minimum of 3 images
- Board must also include the official Thorns FC contest image (not included as one of the 3 images)
- Every image should include a brief explanation about why you chose the image to represent the theme as well as the hashtag #SheFliesWithHerOwnWings in the description
- Entrees must abide by the Pinterest Terms of Service and the Official contest rules
- Entry URL must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org before June 23 at 11:59 p.m.
Board will be judged based on:
Creativity & Originality
The pictures within the board as well as the description provided with each picture will be judged when considering creativity and originality. We are looking for boards that are unlike the majority and think outside of the box. Which boards stand out and are not cliché?
- The pictures within the board as well as the description provided with each picture will be judged when considering creativity and originality. We are looking for boards that are unlike the majority and think outside of the box. Which boards stand out and are not cliché?
Presentation & Organization
Is it easy to move from one picture to the next in a board and get the same concept? We are looking for boards that are well thought out and organized as such.
- Is it easy to move from one picture to the next in a board and get the same concept? We are looking for boards that are well thought out and organized as such.
Clarity of the theme
- Entrants will be judged on how well they represent the theme and how understandable the theme is in their board to the judges.
Three winners will be selected.
First Place Winner will receive:
- (i) one (1) autographed Portland Thorns FC team jersey,
- (ii) two (2) Portland Thorns FC tickets to a mutually agreed upon regular-season match
- (iii) two (2) autograph vouchers for match
- (iv) Pinterest board entry images displayed on JELD-WEN FIELD video wall during the match
(v) Pinterest board entry images displayed on the Portland Thorns Pinterest page.
The second and third prize Contest winner will receive:
- (i) two (2) Portland Thorns FC tickets per Contest winner to mutually agreed upon regular-season match.