Timbers play Impact to draw in second preseason contest
CARSON, Calif. — In their second test of the 2012 preseason, the Portland Timbers played the Montreal Impact to a 0-0 draw at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., on Friday.
The draw brought the Timbers record to 1-0-1 on the preseason and was the second of four scheduled games to take place during the team’s 12-day training camp in Southern California.
“I was pretty happy with our performance,” Timbers head coach John Spencer said after the game. “I think we handled ourselves pretty well.”
The Timbers next face the Houston Dynamo on Sunday at The Home Depot Center at 10:30 a.m. (Pacific).
After a first half that saw limited scoring opportunities for the Portland side, the Timbers were able to create more chances in the second half. As was the case in their preseason-opening, 4-1 victory over the LA Galaxy on Tuesday, the Timbers fielded two different lineups for each half Friday against the Impact.
In all, 22 different players saw time on the field for Portland on Friday.
In the 48th minute, Jack Jewsbury got his head on the end of a corner kick, but his effort went high over the crossbar. Twelve minutes later, a similar sequence found forward Brent Richards in a good position in the box off a corner, but his header went just wide of the near post.
A sharp passing sequence in the attacking third between Eric Alexander and Sebastián Rincón sprung midfielder Franck Songo’o to the left of the goal in the 57th minute, but his shot struck the near post at close range.
The Impact had the advantage in chances in the first half, most noticeably in the fourth minute when Sanna Nyassi found himself alone to the right of the goal and launched a shot that ricocheted off the crossbar.
In the 33rd minute, the Timbers backline was up for the challenge in clearing consecutive corner-kick opportunities by Montreal, and Timbers goalkeeper Joe Bendik was on form in the waning minutes of the half with a pair of saves on his way to the shutout, the Timbers’ first of the preseason.
“We are happy with where we are right now,” Spencer said. “We’ve played two games – win one and tied one – it’s good for morale and it’s good for confidence.”
The Timbers return to their regular training schedule Saturday at The Home Depot Center in Carson, beginning at 10 a.m.
POR (First Half): GK Bendik, D Purdy, D Danso, D Mosquera, D Chabala, M Davids, M Alhassan, M Marcelin, M Wallace, F Dike, F Perlaza
POR (Second Half): GK Bendik, D Palmer, D Brunner, D Jean-Baptiste, D Taylor, M Songo’o, M Chara, M Jewsbury, M Alexander, F Richards (Ibarra, 81), F Rincón
MON (First Half): GK Ricketts; D Gardner, D Wahl, D Thomas, D Valentin; M Warner, M Felipe, M Bernier, M Arnaud; F Nyassi, F Sebrango
MON (Second Half): GK Sutton; D Brovsky, D Valentin (Gatti, 62), D Thomas (Garcia, 62), D Wahl (Pizzolitto, 62); M James, M Arguez, M Felipe (Ubiparipovic, 62), M Warner (Mayen, 56); F Nyassi (Wenger, 62), F Arnaud (Montano, 62)
MON: Gardner (caution) 21
MON: Bernier (caution), 34
POR: Brunner (caution), 60
- Quarterback Andrew Luck, the projected No. 1 pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, once again was in attendance at the Timbers game Friday.
- After training each of the past two days, midfielder Darlington Nagbe (slight ankle sprain) did not play in Friday’s match.
- The Timbers wore white, black, white against the Impact.
- Portland defeated the Impact 1-0 during last year’s preseason preparation in Casa Grande, Ariz. The Impact will mark their debut MLS season in 2012, becoming the league’s 19th team.
- 2012 Supplemental Draft pick Miguel Ibarra came on as a late substitution for the Timbers. Others to see their first preseason game action Friday included goalkeeper Joe Bendik and defender Chris Taylor. Twenty four different players have played minutes over the team’s first two preseason matches.
- Forward Eddie Johnson sustained a concussion in training this week and has returned to Portland. He is out indefinitely.
- The Timbers are scheduled to play four preseason games during their stay in Southern California before returning to Portland next Thursday.
Timbers Preseason Results:
Tuesday, Feb. 7 – Timbers defeat LA Galaxy 4-1 at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. (Dike, Perlaza, Marcelin, Danso)
Friday, Feb. 10 – Timbers draw Montreal Impact 0-0 at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.
Sunday, Feb. 12 – Timbers vs. Houston Dynamo at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.; 10:30 a.m. (Pacific)
Wednesday, Feb. 15 – Timbers vs. Chicago Fire at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.; 11 a.m. (Pacific)
Monday, Feb. 27 – Timbers vs. San Jose Earthquakes at JELD-WEN Field (tournament); 7:30 p.m. (Pacific)
Thursday, March 1 – Timbers vs. Chivas USA at JELD-WEN Field (tournament); 7:30 p.m. (Pacific)
Sunday, March 4 – Timbers vs. AIK (Sweden) at JELD-WEN Field (tournament); 5 p.m. (Pacific)