Timbers acquire Mobi Fehr through MLS weighted lottery
PORTLAND, Ore. – The Portland Timbers announced that the club has acquired U.S. youth international defender/midfielder Mobi Fehr through a weighted lottery conducted today at MLS headquarters.
The Timbers were one of three teams to participate in Tuesday’s lottery and held an 83.1 percent chance of acquiring Fehr, who has been a member of the U.S. U-17, U-18 and U-20 National Team player pools. Seattle (15.5 percent) and San Jose (1.4 percent) also entered into Tuesday’s lottery.
“Mobi is a young, versatile player with a great deal of ability,” said Gavin Wilkinson, Timbers general manager. “After having the opportunity to see him in training with the club this past season, we know him to be a quality player and look forward to seeing his continued development.”
Fehr, 18, was a key figure for the U.S. U-17 National Team in 2011, helping lead the team to the CONCACAF U-17 championship and to the Round of 16 in the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Mexico. In 2012, he was called into camp with the U.S. U-20 National Team in February and represented the U.S. U-18 National Team at the Lisbon Tournament in May.
Raised in Tokyo, Fehr came up through the academy of Tokyo Verdy 1969 before entering the U.S. U-17 Residency Program in 2010. He joined Swiss club FC Basel in 2012 and also spent three weeks training with the Timbers late last season.
Fehr was placed into the weighted lottery process after signing with MLS recently.
Pronunciation: MO-bee fair
Born: Dec. 13, 1994 in New York City, N.Y.
Hometown: Tokyo, Japan
Last Club: FC Basel (Switzerland)
Citizenship: Japan/Switzerland/United States
Acquired: Acquired via MLS weighted lottery on Dec. 18, 2012.