Next Monday, MLSsoccer.com begins coverage of its annual list of the 24 best players under the age of 24 in Major League Soccer. The Portland Timbers have been well represented in the past but the list this year begins anew.
While the league voting has already finished, pick your top three in our fan poll at right and then let us know in the comments below why you made your selections. With a Portland roster that includes eleven eligible players, who do you think should make the list?
The criteria from MLSsoccer.com is as follows:
Players who are 23 years old and younger as of the final day of the 2013 MLS season – in this case, MLS Cup on Dec. 7 – were eligible for inclusion. Votes were collected from the MLSsoccer.com editorial staff and various American soccer media members.
MLSsoccer.com staff and media panelists rated players based on the following five criteria:
- Technical (skills, dribbling, shooting, first touch, heading, etc.)
- Tactical (positioning, reading game, soccer IQ, etc.)
- Physical Attributes (speed, endurance, strength, vertical leap, etc.)
- Personality (marketability, media savvy, quotability, charisma, intangibles, etc.)
- Potential (upside, national team potential, potential future transfer value, etc.)