Portland Timbers forward Felipe Mora and right back Josecarlos Van Rankin have been named to the latest Major League Soccer Team of the Week, it was announced on Monday. The honors come after the Timbers' 3-0, Saturday victory over LA Galaxy at Providence Park.
Mora was substituted into the game just before halftime and, in the match's 47th minute, scored the day's opening goal. Thirteen minutes later, Mora doubled Portland's lead, marking his fourth goal of 2021 in all competitions.
Van Rankin, like his teammate, was involved in multiple goals on Saturday. In the 60th minute, his chipped shot from just outside the Galaxy penalty area went off the underside of LA's crossbar, allowing Mora to head into an open net for the game's second goal. Nine minutes later, Van Rankin's run into the Galaxy penalty area drew a foul from LA defender Daniel Steres. Portland captain Diego Valeri converted the subsequent penalty kick for the game's final goal.
This is the second consecutive week in which the Timbers have two players in MLS's Team of the Week. Last week, midfielder Eryk Williamson and goalkeeper Logan Ketterer earned places in the team during Portland's 2-0 victory at the San Jose Earthquakes.
Catch up on everybody from Portland's Saturday's win over LA:
- WATCH | Highlights from Portland's 3-0 victory over the Galaxy
- RECAP | Timbers cruise past Galaxy
- MEDIA | Savarese: "The team mentality was phenomenal"
- WALK-OFF | Ebobisse discusses Portland's big win
- WATCH | Diego Valeri breaks down the win against LA
- FARLEY | Timbers trajectory clear after second win in a row
- Day in pictures | Images from Portland's afternoon win over LA
- #StatMan 3 | Mora delivers second brace of Timbers tenure
- SLO MO | The best views of Mora's two-goal performance
- GOAL-BY_GOAL: MORA 1 | MORA 2 | VALERI