PORTLAND, Ore.- In the club's MLS home opener, the Portland Timbers defeated Houston Dynamo FC, 2-1, on Saturday night at Providence Park. Dairon Asprilla scored just six minutes into the match while Cristhian Paredes scored the game-winning goal in the second half.
Both Asprilla and Paredes scored their first goals since the 2019 season. Blake Bodily, Pablo Bonilla, Bill Tuiloma, and Felipe Mora all had assists, while Jeff Attinella, who was making the start for the injured Steve Clark, made three saves for his first win in more than two years. The victory moves the Timbers to 1-1-0 on the season.
4' — SHOT (POR) — After being played in by Dairon Asprilla, Blake Bodily hit a shot from a tight angle that forced a snap save by Houston's goalkeeper.
6' — GOAL (POR) — Asprilla put the Timbers ahead early when he finished off a Pablo Bonilla cross from 10 yards in front of goal. Bonilla dribbled around his mark and sent in a low pass that was finished by the Colombian. Bodily was credited with a secondary assist on the goal.
17' — SHOT (POR) — After an outlet pass from his brother, Diego, midfielder Yimmi Chara smashed a shot past a Houston defender but it flew over the crossbar.
27' — GOAL (HOU) — Dynamo FC tied the match at 1-1 when Oscar Boniek Garcia scored on a header.
43' — SHOT (POR) — Portland connected on multiple one-touch passes before Bonilla found space after a Diego Chara delivery. Bonilla's effort ended up wide and hit the outside netting of the goal.
45+' — SAVE (POR) — Goalkeeper Jeff Attinella denied Houston the lead when he came off his line to stop a shot from Tyler Pashner.
59' — SHOT (POR) — Portland sprung the counter after Claudio Bravo stole the ball from the Dynamo. The full-field attack ended when Asprilla hit a shot wide from 15 yards.
70' — SHOT (POR) — Bill Tuiloma rose above the crowd to get a head on a Portland corner but his headed shot was caught by Houston goalkeeper, Marko Maric.
72' — SAVE (POR) — Attinella was called upon to save a long range effort from Houston's Maxi Urruti.
73' — GOAL (POR) — Portland took a 2-1 lead when Cristhian Paredes blasted home a shot from inside the top of the box. Paredes found space after Felipe Mora headed a long ball down into the path of Paredes.
88' — SHOT (POR) — After great combination play between Diego Valeri and Mora, Valeri's shot flew just over the crossbar.
- Portland improved to 6-2-3 in MLS home openers with the win over Houston.
- Cristhian Paredes scored the game-winning goal. The goal was the sixth goal of his MLS career.
- It marked the second time Paredes has scored in a Timbers MLS home opener as he also scored in the club's 2019 home opener against LAFC.
- Dairon Asprilla scored in the sixth minute, which was the earliest goal the club has scored in a home opener in the club's MLS era.
- In his 2021 regular season debut, Pablo Bonilla notched the second assist of his Timbers career. Bonilla's other assist came on Oct. 28, 2020.
- Coming into the match as a substitute, Felipe Mora delivered his third career assist with the club.
- Bill Tuiloma recorded the second assist of his MLS career. Tuiloma also had an assist in Portland's 2-2 draw with LAFC on July 23, 2020.
- Jeff Attinella notched his first win as a starter since April 20, 2019 against Columbus Crew SC and his first win as a starter at Providence Park since Portland's win over Seattle Sounders FC in the 2018 MLS Cup Playoffs on Nov. 4, 2018.
Portland Timbers (1-1-0, 3pts) vs. Houston Dynamo FC (1-1-0, 3pts)
April 24, 2021 – Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
Goals by Half
Houston Dynamo FC 1 0 1
Portland Timbers 1 1 2
POR: Asprilla (Bonilla, Bodily), 6
HOU: Own goal (Paredes), 28
POR: Paredes (Mora, Tuiloma), 73
POR: Asprilla (caution), 26
HOU: Valentin (caution), 36
HOU: Urruti (caution), 37
POR: Bravo (caution), 39
POR: GK Attinella, D Bonilla (Van Rankin, 82), D Mabiala (Zuparic, 45), D Tuiloma, D Bravo, M D. Chara, M Paredes, M Loría (Williamson, 74), M Y. Chara (Valeri, 45), M Asprilla, F Bodily (Mora, 60)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Sulte, D McGraw, M Zambarno
TOTAL SHOTS: 23 (Loría, 5); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Asprilla, 2); FOULS: 17 (Four players tied, 2); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 3
HOU: GK Maric, D Valentin, D Parker, D Lundkvist, M Rodríguez (Ramirez, 87), M Vera, M García ©, M Corona (Jones, 74), F Picault (Lassiter, 74), F Urruti (Quintero, 78), F Pasher
Substitutes Not Used: GK Nelson, D Fuenmayor, D Figueroa, D Hoffmann, M Ceren
TOTAL SHOTS: 10 (Lassiter, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 3 (Three players tied, 1); FOULS: 14 (Lundkvist, 3); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 3
Referee: Ismail Elfath
Assistant Referees: Mike Rottersman, Jeremy Hanson
Fourth Official: Ramy Touchan
VAR: Younes Marrakchi
Weather: Cloudy, 52 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
Everything Timbers.com on Portland's win over Houston:
- HIGHLIGHTS | Asprilla, Paredes score in Timbers win
- POSTGAME | Savarese: "I was very proud of the performance today"
- WATCH | Paredes discusses late game-winner, downing Houston
- WATCH | Bodily: "It's something I've dreamed of"
- FARLEY | Tight stretch off to strong start as depth steps up
- Night in pictures | Under the lights for Portland's MLS home opener
- #StatMan Three | Bodily makes history in regular season debut