Portland Thorns FC returned to NWSL play after winning the Women’s International Champions Cup and picked up right where they left off. The NWSL table leaders earned a 2-1 victory against NJ/NY Gotham FC at Providence Park as they welcomed home their four Olympians.
With the win, the Thorns not only extended their current unbeaten streak in league play but also continued an impressive run against Gotham FC.
Let’s peek at Wednesday’s match By The Numbers:
The Thorns are now unbeaten in 10 matches against Gotham FC (5-0-5) in all competitions, which is one of the longest active unbeaten streaks against a single opponent in the NWSL. The last time Portland suffered a loss to Gotham: July 17, 2017.
That 10 match run also includes the 2021 NWSL Challenge Cup final, in which the two sides finished level and … you know how the rest of the story goes.
The Rose City welcomed home the club’s four Olympians – Christine Sinclair, Crystal Dunn, Lindsey Horan and Becky Sauerbrunn. It was a special moment prior to kickoff, and supporters were able to celebrate and recognize their medal winners.
All four players featured in the XI for the Thorns. It was the first league appearance for each of them in 61 days.
Sinclair converted a penalty kick late in the first half – a goal that proved to be the game-winner in the end. It was the 10th penalty kick goal of Sinclair’s NWSL career, which ranks second-most in league history and just two PKs behind Kim Little, who tallied 12 PK goals during her time in the league with the OL Reign.
With the goal, Sinclair now has 52 career goals with the club and five goals in 16 games against Gotham FC.
A By The Numbers bonus …
The Thorns have ranked among the league’s offensive leaders all season. And with the two goals Wednesday, they moved back into the league lead for goals scored this season with 23. Right behind them: the North Carolina Courage with 22 goals on the season.
The most impressive aspect of the Thorns’ 23 goals on the campaign, however, is that those goals have been scored by nine different players.
Unbeaten In Eight: More on the Thorns win vs. Gotham FC
- RECAP | First place Thorns FC defeat Gotham FC, now unbeaten in eight
- HIGHLIGHTS | Sinclair, Smith score as Thorns first to 10 wins
- WALKOFF | Sinclair on return, game-winning goal, play vs. Gotham
- REACTION | Sauerbrunn on tale of two halves in Gotham FC win
- POSTGAME | Parsons assesses offense, professional performance vs. Gotham FC
- PRESS CONFERENCE | Parsons on Gotham win, lineup choices, second-half struggles
- Q-AND-A | Smith talks room for improvement, effective runs after Thorns defeat Gotham
- MEDIA | Sinclair talks strong first half, team culture after win over Gotham
- FARLEY | For 45 minutes, we saw the endgame for the 2021 Portland Thorns
- NIGHT IN PICTURES | Welcome Home Olympians