Representatives of the Timbers Army, the Vancouver Southsiders and the Emerald City Supporters – the three supporters groups for the Portland Timbers, Vancouver Whitecaps FC and Seattle Sounders FC, respectively – announced today the return of the Cascadia Cup.
In a joint statement, the three groups' Cascadia Cup Council said that, "due to the relaxation of pandemic-related fan restrictions at matches, combined with the opportunity to create a balanced Cup schedule, the Cascadia Cup will have a 2021 champion."
The Cascadia Cup was created in 2004 by supporters of all three clubs and awarded to the supporters group of the club with the best record of the three-way, intra-club regular-season play. Portland has won it four times with the most recent coming in 2017. The competition was put on hiatus in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Matches counting in the 2021 Cascadia Cup competition are as follows:
- Timbers vs. Sounders | Aug. 15, 2021 - 7pm PT | TICKETS | FS1
- Sounders vs. Timbers | Aug. 29, 2021 - 7:30pm PT | ESPN
- Whitecaps vs. Timbers | Sept. 10, 2021 - 7pm PT | FOX 12 PLUS
- Sounders vs. Whitecaps | Oct. 9, 2021 - 6pm PT
- Timbers vs. Whitecaps | Oct. 20, 2021 - 7pm PT | TICKETS | FOX 12 PLUS
- Whitecaps vs. Sounders | Nov. 7, 2021 - 3pm PT
The joint statement also said, "Should future matches be postponed or see significant changes regarding attendance of supporters, the Cascadia Cup Council may amend this plan, but we are hopeful that the Cup will be awarded this year as intended."