PORTLAND, Ore. – The Portland Timbers, down to 10 men after a first-half red card, fought back for a 2-2 draw against the Colorado Rapids Wednesday night at Providence Park.
- MATCHCENTER: Stats and Boxscore
4' - CHANCE (POR) - Defender Claudio Bravo sent a nice cross-field pass to forward Felipe Mora who had snuck behind Rapids defender Auston Trusty. Mora dribbled along the endline and shot through Colorado's William Yarbrough's legs but the ball deflected off a defender and back to the Rapids goalkeeper.
11' - CHANCE (POR) - Yimmi Chara held the ball upfield for Mora who then slipped a pass through to Sebastián Blanco on the run. Blanco attempted a shot but Yarbrough came off his line to cut down the angle and made the save.
23' - CHANCE (POR) - Portland pushed downfield with Y. Chara spraying a ball out wide right for Blanco. Blanco stutter-stepped past his defender and fired towards the near post but Yarborough parried the shot away for a corner.
24' - CHANCE (POR) - On a corner kick, Mora hit a screaming shot on the volley towards goal but it was blocked away by a Colorado player.
42' - RED CARD (POR) - Portland went down to 10 men as defender Bill Tuiloma picked up a second yellow card and accompanying red card for a foul in the 42nd minute.
51' - SAVE (POR) - Goalkeeper Steve Clark made a quick reaction save to parry away a header from close range sent in from Colorado's Cole Bassett.
64' - GOAL (COL) - Colorado scored first to on a throughball in the box to Jonathan Lewis who shot it past Clark and made it 1-0 for the visitors.
67' - GOAL (POR) - Three minutes later, Blanco sent in a free kick from 30 yards out that found Dario Zuparic on the back post. Zuparic pushed the ball back across the face of goal where Mora scored with a diving header to tie the game at 1-1.
86' - CHANCE (POR) - Blanco, deep on the right sideline, whipped in a cross that found Mora in front of goal but his glancing header went just wide of the left post.
87' - GOAL (COL) - The Rapids went up 2-1 in the 87th minute when Michael Barrios scored from an impossible angle along the near endline. His side-footed shot went up and just over the outstretched arm of Clark.
90+1' - GOAL (PR) - The Timbers fought back again to tie it at 2-2 in second-half stoppage time. Bravo timed a ball forward to Dairon Asprilla who took off down the left channel like a rocket. Dribbling to the endline, he cut a ball back to the center that deflected off of Colorado defender Lalas Abubakar and into the path of Blanco who darted in to shoot into the goal.
Portland continue their homestand when they host Los Angeles FC this Sunday, Sept. 19 (4:30pm PT, TICKETS, FS1).
Portland Timbers (10-10-4, 34pts) vs. Colorado Rapids (12-4-7, 43pts)
Sept. 15, 2021 – Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
COL: Lewis (Shinyashiki, Kaye), 64
POR: Mora (Zuparic, Blanco), 67
COL: Barrios (Price), 87
POR: Blanco, 90+1
POR: Blanco (caution), 31
COL: Trusty (caution), 31
POR: Tuiloma (caution), 33
POR: Tuiloma (ejection), 42
COL: Kaye (caution), 66
POR: Paredes (caution), 67
POR: Clark (caution), 82
COL: Abubakar (caution), 88
POR: GK Clark, D Tuiloma, D Mabiala, D Zuparic, D Bravo, M D. Chara ©, M Paredes (Fochive, 76), M Y. Chara (Van Rankin, 46), M Blanco (McGraw, 90+6), M Asprilla, F Mora (Niezgoda, 90+4)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, M Zambrano, M Loría, M Moreno, M Valeri
TOTAL SHOTS: 11 (Blanco, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (Blanco, 3); FOULS: 11 (Bravo, 4); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 5
COL: GK Yarbrough, D Trusty, D Wilson, D Rosenberry, M Abubakar, M Bassett (Mezquida, 76), M Price, M Kaye (Acosta, 75), F Lewis (Badji, 81), F Shinyashiki (Barrios, 75), F Galván (Esteves, 57)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Irwin, D Moor, D Beitashour, M Warner
TOTAL SHOTS: 24 (Bassett, 5); SHOTS ON GOAL: 7 (Bassett, Shinyashiki, 2); FOULS: 9 (Wilson, 3); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 2
Referee: Armando Villarreal
Assistant Referees: Jeremy Hanson, Corey Rockwell
Fourth official: Baldomero Toledo
VAR: Jon Freemon
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 65 degrees
- The Timbers are undefeated in their last four matches (3-0-1), improving their overall record in the 2021 campaign to 10-10-4.
- Portland improved its home record in the 2021 regular-season campaign tonight to 6-3-2 and is 4-1-2 its last seven home games.
- The Timbers have scored a goal in 14 consecutive matches this season.
- Eight of the Timbers’ goals his season have been in stoppage time (3 in first half, 5 in second half).
- Portland recorded a new consecutive shutout minute record of 395 dating back to Aug. 21 against Austin FC.
- Felipe Mora scored his team-leading 10th goal of the season tonight, recording a new career best. Six of his 10 goals scored were at Providence Park.
- Mora is in a three-way tie for eighth place for the most goals scored (10) in the league this year.
- Five of Mora’s goals this season have been game winners.
- Mora leads the league with six headed goals in 2021.
- Mora has scored eight goals in his last 12 matches.
- Sebastián Blanco recorded a goal and an assist in an MLS regular season match for the seventh time in his career with the club.
- Blanco scored his third goal of 2021 in tonight’s match. He has scored two of his three goals at home.
- Blanco has started five matches this season, tallying three goals and one assist in those matches.
- Blanco has three goals and six assists in seven games played against Colorado.
- Blanco led the team tonight in shots on goal (3) and shots (4).
- Dario Zuparic recorded his first career assist with the Timbers.
- Zuparic is the 16th different player to record an assist for Portland this season.
- Zuparic leads the team in minutes played this season with 3531.
- Dairon Asprilla is the only Timbers player to appear in all 24 regular season matches in 2021.