FRISCO, Texas – Despite a second half goal from Jaroslaw Niezgoda, the Portland Timbers suffered a 4-1 loss to FC Dallas Saturday night at Toyota Stadium.
- MATCHCENTER: Stats and Boxscore
7' - SAVE (POR) - Goalkeeper Aljaz Ivacic was in perfect position to catch a free kick attempt from Dallas' Alan Velasco who had curled his shot around the Portland defensive wall.
26' - GOAL (FCD) - Dallas took a 1-0 lead in the first half as a cross from Alan Velasco found Jesús Ferreira in front of the net to knock the ball off the crossbar and in.
30 - GOAL (FCD) - Ferreira scored his second for Dallas four minutes later when he headed in a cross from FCD's Nanú to put Portland down 2-0.
36' - GOAL (FCD) - Ferreira completed his hat trick in the 36th minute as he skipped a shot just inside the far post to make it 3-0 for Dallas.
46' - SAVE (POR) - Ivacic dove with full extension to his right to parry away a header from Dallas' Matt Hedges.
51' - CHANCE (POR) - Jaroslaw Niezgoda pressured the Dallas backline and forced a turnover that Sebastián Blanco pounced on near the edge of the area. He blasted a shot on frame forcing FCD goalkeeper Maarten Paes to knock it over the bar.
61' - GOAL (POR) - Niezgoda pulled a goal back for Portland in the 61st minute as Blanco looped a perfect ball from midfield over the top for the Portland striker to bring down and chip over the 'keeper to make it 3-1.
63' - CHANCE (POR) - Blanco raced down the right channel and skipped a ball through to the back post for Asprilla to run on to but he put his shot over the bar.
69' - CHANCE (POR) - Midfielder David Ayala did well to keep possession for Portland along the edge of the area, cut inside and hit a left-footed shot that Paes narrowly pushed wide of the goal.
77' - GOAL (FCD) - Ferreira sent a throughball ahead for Dallas' Paul Arriola who took a touch and scored in the lower left corner to make it 4-1.
The Portland Timbers return to Providence Park on Sunday, Mar. 27 when they host Orlando City SC (1pm PT, TICKETS, ESPN).
Portland Timbers (1-1-2, 5pts) vs. FC Dallas (3-1-0, 9pts)
March 19, 2022 – Toyota Stadium (Dallas, Tex.)
DAL: Ferreira (Velasco), 26
DAL: Ferreira (Nanu), 30
DAL: Ferreira (Servania), 36
POR: Niezgoda (Blanco), 61
DAL: Arriola (Ferreira), 77
DAL: Velasco (caution), 44
DAL: Nanu (caution), 76
POR: GK Ivacic, D Bravo, D Tuiloma, D McGraw, D Van Rankin (Rasmussen, 70), M Ayala (Zuparic, 80), M D. Chara ©, M Asprilla, M Y. Chara, M Moreno (Blanco, 46), F Niezgoda (Bodily, 88)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Bingham, D Mabiala, M Fochive, M Loria, F Gutierrez
TOTAL SHOTS: 12 (four players tied, 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (four players tied, 1); FOULS: 9 (Ayala, 3); OFFSIDES: 2; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 4
DAL: GK Paes, D Farfan (Twumasi, 72), D Martinez, D Hedges, D Nanu, M Servania, M Cerillo, M Pomykal (Ntsabeleng, 80), F Velasco, F Ferreira (Jara, 80), F Arriola
Substitutes Not Used: GK Maurer, D Munjoma, D Tafari, M Quignon, F Obrian, F Schön
TOTAL SHOTS: 14 (Ferreira, 5); SHOTS ON GOAL: 8 (Ferreira, 4); FOULS: 8 (eight players tied, 1); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 3
Referee: Allen Chapman
Assistant Referees: Jason White, Meghan Mullen
Fourth Official: Matthew Thompson
VAR: Armando Villarreal
Weather: Cloudy, 70 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
- The Timbers have scored at least one goal in 11-straight MLS matches, dating back to Oct. 27, 2021, scoring 20 in that run.
- Jaroslaw Niezgoda scored his first goal of the 2022 campaign, and his 11th overall.
- Sebastián Blanco registered his first assist of the season, and 43rd overall.
- Blanco has the second-most assists in club history, behind Diego Valeri with 91.
- Diego Chara recorded a 96% passing accuracy on 49 passes.
- Yimmi Chara led the team in chances created with five.
- Claudio Bravo made a team-high seven tackles and seven interceptions.
- David Ayala made his first career start for the Timbers.
- Dario Zuparic made his season debut with Portland as a second-half substitute.
- Blake Bodily subbed into the final minutes of the match, marking his season debut.
- Bodily’s appearance was his 10th with the Timbers, surpassing 200 MLS minutes played.