PORTLAND, Ore. – Forward Jaroslaw Niezgoda came off the bench to score in the 83rd minute, goalkeeper Steve Clark made five saves and the Portland Timbers won their fourth game in a row over visiting Inter Miami CF Sunday afternoon at Providence Park.
- MATCHCENTER: Boxscore and Stats
The win extended Portland's unbeaten streak to eight matches.
16' - CHANCE (POR) - On a Portland corner kick, forward Dairon Asprilla's glancing header went just wide of the near post.
20' - CHANCE (POR) - Midfielder Diego Chara rolled a diagonal throughball towards Asprilla who had made a darting run to split the Miami defense. As Asprilla took his shot, a Miami defender managed to get a foot in and deflect the ball narrowly wide of the left post.
32' - CHANCE (POR) - Defender Claudio Bravo scooped a ball up and over the defense to forward Felipe Mora in the box. Mora volleyed his shot on frame but it was saved by Miami goalkeeper Nick Marsman.
36' - CHANCE (POR) - After patiently working the ball in possession, midfielder Marvin Loría chipped a quick ball in that Mora flicked towards goal forcing a save.
43' - SAVE (POR) - Miami's Jay Chapman connected with a Lewis Morgan whipped-in cross but Portland goalkeeper Steve Clark made the save.
50' - SAVE (POR) - Clark made a quick reaction save on a shot from outside of the box by Miami's Gonzalo Higuaín.
75' - CHANCES (POR) - Yimmi Chara took down a ball from Sebastián Blanco in the box. He sent it to the penalty spot for Mora whose shot was blocked. Defender Dario Zuparic then tried to shoot the rebound but his attempt went wide.
80' - CHANCE (POR) - Blanco curled a ball to the far post for Asprilla but his volleyed shot went over the bar.
83' - GOAL (POR) - Subbing on only a minute earlier, forward Jaroslaw Niezgoda snapped a header down off a perfect corner kick from Blanco into the bottom corner of the Miami net for a 1-0 lead.
The Portland Timbers will next play on the road against the LA Galaxy at Dignity Sports Park on Oct. 16 (7:30pm PT, FOX 12 PLUS).
Portland Timbers (14-10-4, 46pts) vs. Inter Miami CF (9-13-5, 32pts)
Oct. 3, 2021 – Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
POR: Niezgoda (Blanco), 83
MIA: Figal (caution), 18
POR: D. Chara (caution), 67
POR: GK Clark, D Van Rankin, D Mabiala, D Zuparic, D Bravo, M D. Chara ©, M Fochive (Paredes, 68), M Y. Chara (Moreno, 90+4), M Loria (Blanco, 68), M Asprilla (Niezgoda, 82), F Mora
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, D Bonilla, D McGraw, D Tuiloma, M Zambrano
TOTAL SHOTS: 17 (Mora, 5); SHOTS ON GOAL: 3 (Mora, 2); FOULS: 10 (D. Chara, 4); OFFSIDES: 2; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 5
MIA: GK Marsman, D Figal (Leerdam, 58), D Gonzalez Pirez, D Makoun, M Chapman (Matuidi, 58), M Morgan, M Pizarro (F. Higuain, 76), M Shea (Gibbs, 79), M Gregore © (Vassilev, 90), F G. Higuain, F Robinson (Carranza, 76)
Substitutes Not Used: GK McCarthy, D Guediri, M Azcona
TOTAL SHOTS: 13 (Pizarro, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Shea, 2); FOULS: 9 (Carranza, 2); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 1; SAVES: 2
Referee: Robert Sibiga
Assistant Referees: Jose Da Silva, Apolinar Mariscal
Fourth official: Brandon Stevis
VAR: Allen Chapman
Weather: Cloudy, 68 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial.
- The Timbers are undefeated in their last eight matches (7-0-1), improving their overall record in the 2021 campaign to 14-10-4.
- Portland improved its home record in the 2021 regular-season campaign today to 9-3-2.
- The Timbers earned their seventh shutout of the regular season today.
- Portland has the longest active streak for consecutive games with goals scored (18) in the league.
- The Timbers have the most home wins in the Western Conference (9).
- Portland is tied for the second-most goals (45) in the Western Conference.
- The Timbers are 13-1-1 when scoring first this season.
- Jaroslaw Niezgoda scored his second goal of the regular season and ninth across two seasons with the Timbers.
- Niezgoda has made seven appearances this season in the 2021 campaign after coming back from an ACL injury (Nov. 2020).
- In his regular-season career with Portland, Niezgoda has attempted 14 total shots, 11 of those on frame, and nine of them being goals.
- Sebastián Blanco recorded his sixth assist in today’s match and is tied with Marvin Loría for most assists on the team.
- Blanco has started in eight of 19 appearances this season, tallying three goals and six assists in those matches.
- Steve Clark recorded his fifth clean sheet of the regular season today.
- Felipe Mora led the team in shots (5) today.
- Yimmi Chara recorded a team-high five chances created.