PORTLAND, Ore. – Dairon Asprilla scored his third goal in as many games, Yimmi Chara tallied his second in as many matches and the Portland Timbers extended their unbeaten streak to seven straight with a 2-1 victory over Los Angeles FC Wednesday evening at Banc of California Stadium.
- MATCHCENTER: Stats and Boxscore
23' - CHANCE (POR) - Midfielder Sebastián Blanco dribbled directly into the left side of the LAFC 18-yard box before snapping a ball across the face of goal. It deflected off LA's goalkeeper Jamal Blackman and went towards Dairon Asprilla on the back post but his shot was blocked away for a corner.
31' - CHANCE (POR) - Deep in the LAFC far corner, midfielder Yimmi Chara turned his defender and eluded the tackle before rolling a ball towards goal that was just beyond the reach of Blanco who was racing in toward goal.
34' - CHANCE (POR) - Midfielder Diego Chara found a seam with a nice ball forward to Asprilla who slipped through the defense. Blackman came off his line as Asprilla attempted to chip him but an LAFC defender came to clean up the shot.
40' - TACKLE (POR) - LAFC was able to counter forward with Francisco Ginella breaking free on goal. Midfielder Cristian Paredes zoomed back though to make a perfectly timed tackle and knock the ball away.
45' - GOAL (POR) - Goalkeeper Steve Clark kicked a ball well down field that Blanco deftly took down with one touch and then chipped forward to Asprilla near the edge of Los Angeles' 18-yard box. Asprilla then passed diagonally to Yimmi Chara on his left. While the ball was slightly behind Chara, the midfielder managed to stick with it and knocked it into the far lower corner for a 1-0 Timbers lead.
55' - GOAL (LAFC) - Forcing a turnover, José Cifuentes passed ahead to forward Danny Musovski who scored on a sharp angle from the right side to tie the game at 1-1.
59' - GOAL (POR) - Portland took back the lead four minutes later. Larrys Mabiala won the ball in his own end before Diego Valeri threaded a good ball 30 yards forward that LAFC's Jesús David Murillo misplayed allowing Felipe Mora to slip in behind. Mora shielded the defender away from the ball as he sprinted in on goal and fired a shot off the right post as Blackman came off his line. However, Asprilla hammered the rebound from the left side into the open net to make it 2-1 for Portland.
83' - CHANCE (POR) - Valeri curled in a free kick from the right side that Mora flashed just wide of the LAFC goal with a header.
85' - CHANCE (POR) - Santiago Moreno had an open header on a Valeri corner kick that he directed just over the crossbar.
90+5' - SAVE (POR) - Clark made a huge save (with his face) to deny a point-blank shot on the right side from LAFC's Moon-hwan Kim.
The Portland Timbers return home Sunday to host Inter Miami CF at Providence Park (2:30pm PT, TICKETS, FS1).
Portland Timbers (13-10-4, 43pts) vs. LAFC (9-11-6, 33pts)
Sept. 29, 2021 – Banc of California Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
POR: Y. Chara (Asprilla), 27
LAFC: Musovski (Cifuentes), 55
POR: Asprilla, 59
POR: Paredes (caution), 25
LAFC: Palacios (caution), 29
POR: Asprilla (caution), 45+2
POR: Valeri (caution), 76
POR: Arango (caution), 90+9
POR: GK Clark, D Van Rankin, D Mabiala, D Zuparic, D Bravo, M D. Chara ©, M Paredes (Fochive 75), M Asprilla (Loría 87), M Blanco (Valeri 53), M Y. Chara (Moreno 75), F Mora (Niezgoda 88)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, D Bonilla, D McGraw, D Tuiloma, M Zambrano
TOTAL SHOTS: 9 (Mora, Asprilla, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 2 (Asprilla, Y. Chara, 1); FOULS: 11 (D. Chara, 3); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 3
LAFC: GK Blackman, D Murillo ©, D Edwards, D Fall, D Ibeagha (Farfan 45), D Palacios (Musovski 45), M Ginella (Duke 84), M Atuesta, M Cifuentes, M Ngalina (Moon-Hwan 45), F Arango
Substitutes Not Used: GK Romero, GK Sisniega, D Harvey, D Kim, M Blessing, M Crisostomo
TOTAL SHOTS: 14 (Cifuentes, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (Four players tied with 4); FOULS: 20 (Cifuentes, 4); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 0
Referee: Joe Dickerson
Assistant Referees: Jeff Hosking, Eduardo Mariscal
Fourth official: Mark Allatin
VAR: Alejandro Mariscal
Weather: Sunny, 81 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
- The Timbers are undefeated in their last seven matches (6-0-1), improving their overall record in the 2021 campaign to 13-10-4.
- Portland has won the last four matches on the road (Seattle, Houston, Vancouver, LAFC) and improved its record on the road to 5-7-2.
- The Timbers have scored a goal in 17 consecutive matches this season and is tied for the second-most goals (44) in the Western Conference.
- Portland is 12-1-1 when scoring first this season.
- The Timbers have won all three matches against LAFC in the 2021 campaign, scoring six goals total.
- Portland is undefeated against LAFC dating back to October in 2020 (3-0-2).
- The Timbers earned their first-ever win against LAFC at Banc of California Stadium.
- Dairon Asprilla scored his eighth goal of the 2021 campaign and 15th in the regular season with the Timbers since 2014.
- Asprilla also tallied his third assist of the regular season tonight.
- Asprilla is the only Timbers player to appear in all 27 regular season matches in 2021.
- Yimmi Chara recorded his fifth goal of the season and ninth of his regular season career with the Timbers.
- Y. Chara tallied his fourth assist of the season tonight.
- Felipe Mora and Asprilla were tied with most shots tonight (3).
- Claudio Bravo leads the league in tackles won with 53.
- Dario Zuparic leads the team in minutes played this season with 2070.
- Diego Valeri received his sixth card and will not be available for the next match due to yellow card accumulation.