LOS ANGELES – Yimmi Chara scored a bicycle kick goal for the second straight match and a 10-man Portland Timbers side drew 1-1 with Los Angeles FC Sunday night on the road at Banc of California Stadium.
- MATCHCENTER: Stats and Boxscore
5' - CHANCE (POR) - Santiago Moreno danced along the edge of the LA area before slipping a ball to his left for Jaroslaw Niezgoda. The Portland striker hit a skipping shot but LAFC goalkeeper Maxime Crépeau made the save.
12' - CHANCE (POR) - Dairon Asprilla chipped a ball in near the penalty spot for Cristhian Paredes. Paredes' shot was blocked but Y. Chara collected the rebound to fire on frame only for Crépeau to make another save.
18' - GOLAZO (POR) - Yimmi Chara scored a bicycle kick goal for the second straight match when, back to goal, he spied a deflection and volleyed a looping shot up and into the back of the LAFC net to give the Timbers a 1-0 lead.
33' - SAVE (POR) - Goalkeeper Aljaz Ivacic made a great diving stop to deny a dangerous shot from LAFC's Carlos Vela.
51' - SAVE (POR) - Ivacic again made another good save when he sprang to parry away an attempt from LAFC's Brian Rodriguez.
62' - RED CARD (POR) - The Timbers went down to 10 men when defender Claudio Bravo was shown a second yellow card for a foul deep in their own end.
77' - SAVE (POR) - LAFC's Rodriguez again tried a shot from the left side of the box but Ivacic again made another nice save.
90+3' - GOAL (LAFC) - LAFC scored late in second half stoppage time when Rodriguez crossed a ball into Mamadou Fall in front of the goal who was able to tap it in and make the score 1-1.
90+5' - CHANCE (POR) - Sebastián Blanco led a charge down the left channel. He played the ball forward to Y. Chara who tore in on goal but Crepeau came off his line to deny the shot.
The Portland Timbers return to the Rose City next week to host Austin FC on Mar. 12 at Providence Park (7pm PT, TICKETS, FOX 12 PLUS).
Portland Timbers (0-0-2, 2pts) vs. LAFC (1-0-1, 4pts)
March 6, 2022 – Banc of California Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
POR: Yimmi Chara, 18
LAFC: Mamadou Fall (Brian Rodriguez, Latif Blessing), 90+3
LAFC: Hollingshead (caution), 25
POR: Bravo (two yellow cards; ejection), 36, 63
POR: Asprilla (caution), 39
POR: Van Rankin (caution), 45+1
POR: Fochive (caution), 65
POR: Savarese (caution), 74
LAFC: Ilie Sanchez (caution), 78
POR: D. Chara (caution), 90+1
POR: GK Ivacic, D Bravo, D Tuiloma, D McGraw, D Van Rankin, M Paredes (Fochive, 61), M D. Chara ©, M Asprilla, M Y. Chara, M Moreno (Loría, 82), F Niezgoda (Blanco, 61)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Bingham, GK Vom Steeg, D Rasmussen, M Ayala, M Bodily, F Gutierrez
TOTAL SHOTS: 10 (Y. Chara, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (Y. Chara, 3); FOULS: 20 (Asprilla, 5); OFFSIDES: 3; CORNER KICKS: 1; SAVES: 5
LAFC: GK Crepeau, D Palacios (Blessing, 67), D Fall, D Murillo, D Escobar (Hollingshead, 13), M Cifuentes (Musovski, 78), M Sanchez, M Acosta, M Arango, F Rodriguez, F Vela © (Opoku, 45)
Substitutes Not Used: GK McCarthy, D Henry, D Ibeagha, D Moonhwan Kim, M Blessing, M Ginella
TOTAL SHOTS: 25 (Opoku, 5); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (Rodriguez, 3); FOULS: 13 (Sanchez, 3); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 12; SAVES: 3
Referee: Ismail Elfath
Assistant Referees: Frank Anderson, Jeffrey Greeson
Fourth Official: Elton Garcia
VAR: Alex Chilowicz
Weather: Sunny, 53 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
- The Timbers earned their second point of the season tonight with a 1-1 draw (0-0-2).
- Portland played its first away match of the regular season this evening.
- The Timbers have scored in each of their last nine games in MLS play, scoring 18 goals in that run.
- Portland is undefeated in its last nine MLS matches.
- The Timbers are unbeaten against LAFC in their last six match ups (3 W, 3 D), dating back to Oct. 18, 2020.
- Portland is 4-3-5 against LAFC in regular season play.
- Y. Chara recorded his second goal of the year and 12th since joining Portland in 2020.
- Y. Chara led the team with four shots, three on target.
- Aljaz Ivacic registered five saves tonight. Ivacic also registered five saves in the last match against New England on Feb. 16.
- Zac McGraw registered 15 clearances tonight, an MLS career-high for the defender.
- McGraw is just the third Timbers player to record 15 or more clearances in a single game since 2015 (Liam Ridgewell, Bill Tuiloma).
- Sebastián Blanco earned his second appearance of the 2022 season.
- All 14 players who appeared for the Timbers tonight are returners from the 2021 season.
- Portland are 0-0-2 when playing with its 2022 Heritage Rose secondary jersey.