PORTLAND, Ore. – In the club's first match of the 2021 NWSL Challenge Cup, Portland Thorns FC defeated KC NWSL, 2-1, Friday night at Providence Park. Rocky Rodríguez and Tyler Lussi scored for the Thorns as the club welcomed fans back into their home stadium for the first time since 2019.
- MATCHCENTER: Stats
5' - SHOT (POR) - After finding space near the top of the box after a pass from Klingenberg, midfielder Marissa Everett sent her shot just wide of the goal.
8' - GOAL (POR) - Thorns FC took an early lead when Rodríguez headed home a Klingenberg free kick. The goal was the second of Rodríguez's Thorns career and the first goal scored in NWSL in 2021.
60' - GOAL (KC) - Kansas City cut the deficit to one when Amy Rodriguez flicked the ball into the goal from the edge of the six-yard box.
87' - CHANCE (POR) - Weaver forced goalkeeper Abby Smith into a diving save after taking a left-footed shot from a tight angle.
90' - RED CARD (POR) - Simone Charley received a red card following a second yellow card.
90'+ RED CARD (POR/KC) - Weaver and Kansas City's Kristen Edmonds both received red cards for an off-the-ball incident.
- Thorns FC are unbeaten in their last five matches (4-0-1) dating back to Sept. 20, 2020.
- Portland has lost just once in their last 12 matches at Providence Park.
- Kuikka made her Thorns FC and NWSL debut in the match, starting and logging 90 minutes.
- Lussi tallied her fifth career goal in 43 appearances (14 starts) across all competitions for Thorns FC.
- All five of Lussi's goals have come in wins with three of those being game-winners.
- Rodríguez registered her second career goal in 11 games played (10 starts) across all competitions for Portland. She has now scored in consecutive home matches for Portland, notching a goal against OL Reign in the NWSL Fall Series on Sept. 30, 2020.
- Kelli Hubly ended the match with a game-high 10 clearances.
- Madison Pogarch finished the match with a team-high seven tackles and a game-high six interceptions. The seven tackles are tied for the most by a Thorns player in the last three years.
- Christine Sinclair, Crystal Dunn, Sophia Smith, Becky Sauerbrunn, Lindsey Horan were all unavailable for selection to do international duty.
Portland Thorns FC vs. KC NWSL - 2021 NWSL Challenge Cup
April 9, 2021 – Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Thorns FC 1 1 2
KC NWSL 0 1 1
POR: Rodríguez (Klingenberg), 8
POR: Lussi (Westphal), 58
KC: Rodriguez (Pickett), 60
KC: Pickett (caution), 48
POR: Charley (caution), 49
KC: Rodriguez (caution), 70
POR: Charley (caution, ejection), 89
POR: Parsons (ejection), 90+1
KC: Del Fava (caution), 90+1
POR: Weaver (ejection), 90+2
KC: Edmonds (ejection), 90+3
POR: GK Franch, D Westphal, D Kuikka, D Hubly, D Pogarch, M R. Rodríguez, M Boureille, M Klingenberg © (Salem, 73), M Everett (Weaver, 67), F Charley, F Lussi
Substitutes Not Used: GK Bixby, GK Angerer, D Menges, D Nalley, M Hogan, M Fitzgerald, F Persaud,
TOTAL SHOTS: 9 (Rodríguez, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (Four players tied, 1); FOULS: 15 (Charley, 5); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 2
KC: GK Smith, D Maemone, D Del Fava, D Corsie, D Edmonds, M Pickett, M Vincent, M Nolf, F Ratcliffe (Strom-Okimoto, 63), F Rodriguez, F Vasconcelos
Substitutes Not Used: GK Bowen, Barnhart, LaBonta, McCain, Nick
TOTAL SHOTS: 10 (Rodriguez, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 3 (Rodriguez, 2); FOULS: 12 (Vasconcelos, 3); OFFSIDES: 2; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 2
Referee: Danielle Chesky
Assistant Referees: Deleana Quan, Kali Smith
4th Official: Adorae Monroy
Weather: Cloudy, 55 degrees