PORTLAND, Ore. – Forward Simone Charley's first-half stoppage time goal proved to be the difference as Thorns won their third match in a row with a 1-0 victory over KC NWSL Sunday afternoon at Providence Park.
Portland goalkeeper Adrianna Franch was credited with five saves and the Thorns defense earned their fourth clean sheet of the year and third in as many games.
- MATCHCENTER: Stats
7' - CHANCE (POR) - Thorns defender Meghan Klingenberg crossed a ball from the left side that found forward Simone Charley on the back post but her leaping header was stopped by KC goalkeeper Abby Smith.
13' - PK CHANCE (POR) - In the 12th minute, a Thorns cross into the box was blocked by KC defender Elizabeth Ball's hand. Referee Adorae Monroy immediately pointed to the penalty spot but Portland forward Christine Sinclair's 13th minute attempt was denied with a diving save from Kansas City's Smith.
36' - CHANCE (POR) - Following a Portland cornerkick, defender Christen Westphal slid a pass to midfielder Rocky Rodríguez atop the 18-yard box. Rodríguez made a beautiful turn to lose her defender then threaded a ball forward to Sinclair in the box but KC's Smith came off her line to deny the Thorns shot.
41' - CHANCE (POR) - Begun with a defensive stop by Becky Sauerbrunn in the defensive third, Portland broke out on a counter. Sinclair held up the ball for midfielder Crystal Dunn who darted upfield. As she was tackled, she sent a throughball forward to Charley who then dribbled in on goal but her hard shot was parried away by Smith.
45+2' - CHANCE (POR) - As Charley cut into the area with the ball, it was poked away by a KC defender but right to Dunn. Dunn's shot skimmed just wide of the left post.
45+5' - GOAL (POR) - After threatening all half, Portland finally got their goal just before the break to go up 1-0. Defender Emily Menges skillfully stopped a ball deep in her own end before passing forward to Lindsey Horan. Horan turned the ball to Dunn while Dunn, looking upfield, spied Kansas City's goalkeeper well off her line and sent a ball over the top to Charley. Charley beat Smith to the ball before calmly running in to score on an open net.
48' - CHANCE (POR) - Sinclair, pouncing on a KC giveaway, turned and sent a pass ahead to forward Sophia Smith. Smith took a touch before firing a shot on goal that Smith gathered.
52' - CHANCE (POR) - Sinclair, with space at the top of the arc, curled a shot towards the upper corner forcing a diving stop from Smith.
61' - SAVE (POR) - A dangerous KC cross from the near sideline sailed towards the Portland goal. Thorns goalkeeper AD Franch tipped it off the cross bar but it bounced down in front of the net. She quickly sprang to her right to smother the ball.
90+5' - SAVE (POR) - KC's Michelle Maemone shot from just outside the box was deftly tipped just over the bar by Franch to keep her shutout alive.
- Simone Charley scored her second goal of the 2021 regular season.
- Crystal Dunn recorded her first career assist with Portland.
- Adrianna Franch recorded her fifth shutout across all competitions in 2021.
- Thorns FC recorded their third consecutive shutout, and fourth in their six regular season matches.
- This is the first time in club history the team has had three consecutive shutout wins.
- Portland has not allowed a goal in 314 minutes of play, and 255 minutes at Providence Park.
- Thorns FC lead the league with 12 goals.
- Portland leads the league in shots (104) and shots on goal (53).
- Lindsey Horan leads the league in shots with 22, and Sophia Smith leads the league in shots on goal with 11.
- Thorns FC have registered at least 20 shots in each of the six regular season matches.
- Eight players have scored across all competitions for Thorns FC in 2021.
- Meghan Klingenberg led the team with five chances created.
- Portland has outscored its opponents 10-2 at Providence Park in 2021 regular-season play.
- Providence Park opened capacity to 80%, the most fans at a Thorns match since October 12, 2019.
The Thorns next travel east on June 26, 2021 to face the North Carolina Courage at WakeMed Park. Kickoff is 4pm PT on FOX 12 PLUS and Paramount+.
Portland Thorns FC (4-2-0, 12pts) vs. KC NWSL (0-4-2, 2pts)
June 20, 2021 – Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Thorns FC 1 0 1
KC NWSL 0 0 0
POR: Charley (Dunn), 45+5
KC: Ball (caution), 12
KC: Edmonds (caution), 37
KC: Pickett (caution), 84
POR: GK Franch, D Westphal (Pogarch, 90+3), D Menges, D Sauerbrunn (Hubly, 60), D Klingenberg, M Rodríguez, M Salem, M Horan (Boureille, 46), M Dunn (Weaver, 68), F Sinclair©, F Charley (Smith, 46)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Bixby, D Nally, M Ryan, F Everett
TOTAL SHOTS: 20 (Charley, 5); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (Charley, Sinclair, 2); FOULS: 15 (Rodríguez, 3); OFFSIDES: 2; CORNER KICKS: 11; SAVES: 5
KC: GK Smith, D Edmonds (Maemone 85), D Leach, D Ball, D Bowen (Weber, 90+1), M Scott (Logarzo, 64), M LaBonta (Pickett, 46), M Vincent, F Larroquette (Silva, 46), F Jenkins, F Rodriguez©
Substitutes Not Used: GK Barnhart, D McCain, D Del Fava, F Vasconcelos
TOTAL SHOTS: 18 (Rodriguez, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Rodriguez, 2); FOULS: 8 (Bowen, Ball, 2); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 5
Referee: Adorae Monroy
Assistant Referees: Jennifer Garner, CJ Koll
4th Official: Baboucarr Jallow
Weather: Sunny, 90 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial