CARSON, Calif. – Despite a spectacular second-half goal from midfielder Sebastián Blanco, the Portland Timbers fell 2-1 to the LA Galaxy Saturday evening at Dignity Health Sports Park.
- MATCHCENTER: Stats and Boxscore
20' - CHANCE (POR) - On a Portland free kick deep in LA territory by the near corner from Yimmi Chara, Zuparic snapped his header down on frame forcing a quick save from Galaxy goalkeeper Jonathan Bond.
22' - SAVE (POR) - Already leaning one direction, a zipping, deflected LA shot caused Clark to bounce back across the opposite direction to make a one-handed save.
47' - SAVES (POR) - Clark made a pair of spectacular double kick saves as LA's Kevin Cabral came down the right side to attempt a shot and poke of the rebound.
54' - SAVE (POR) - Clark again came up big to deny a shot on the doorstep from Chicharito after he received a dangerous cross from Julián Araujo.
59' - CHANCE (POR) - Midfielder Dairon Asprilla nailed a shot on goal that Bond parried down. Yimmi Chara poked the rebound into the goal but he was whistled offside.
62' - GOAL (LA) - LA's Victor Vázquez bounced a ball towards the back post for Chicharito that defender Larrys Mabiala mis-hit allowing the LA forward to tap the ball into the back of the net for a 1-0 Galaxy lead.
67' - CHANCE (POR) - A ball up forward bounced around before midfielder Santiago Moreno, who had subbed on shortly before, laced a shot on frame but Bond made the save.
72' - GOAL (POR) - Portland fought back as Sebastián Blanco, set up on the near side of the LA 18-yard box, received a cross-field pass from Moreno before lofting a curling, dipping shot into the far corner of the Galaxy net to even the score at 1-1.
86' - CHANCE (POR) - Blanco, 30 yards from goal, fired a swerving, knuckling shot from distance that pinged off the left post.
90+2' - PK GOAL (POR) - Following a foul called in the box against Josecarlos Van Rankin, LA's Sacha Kljestan converted his penalty kick attempt in the lower left corner to make it 2-1 for the Galaxy.
The Portland Timbers have a quick turnaround as they return to Providence Park Wednesday, Oct. 16 to host Vancouver Whitecaps FC (7pm PT, TICKETS, FOX 12 PLUS).
Portland Timbers (14-11-4, 46pts) vs. LA Galaxy (12-11-6, 42pts)
Oct. 16, 2021 – Dignity Health Sports Park (Carson, Ca.)
LAG: Chicharito (Vázquez), 62
POR: Blanco (Moreno), 72
LAG: Kljestan (penalty kick), 90+2
LAG: Chicharito (caution), 38
POR: Bonilla (caution), 44
POR: D. Chara (caution), 65
LAG: Kljestan (caution), 87
LAG: Joveljic (caution), 90+5
POR: GK Clark, D Van Rankin, D Mabiala, D Zuparic, D Bonilla (McGraw, 89), M D. Chara ©, M Paredes (Fochive, 83), M Y. Chara, M Blanco (Valeri, 89), M Asprilla (Moreno, 65), F Niezgoda (Mora, 65)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, M Zambrano, M Loría
TOTAL SHOTS: 10 (Blanco, 5); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (Blanco, 3); FOULS: 10 (D. Chara, 3); OFFSIDES: 3; CORNER KICKS: 1; SAVES: 7
LAG: GK Bond, D Araujo, D Williams, D Depuy, D Hämäläinen, M Raveloson, M dos Santos (Kljestan, 63), M Cabral (Álvarez, 63), M Vázquez (Lletget, 71), M Grandsir (Joveljic, 83), F Chicharito
Substitutes Not Used: GK Klinsmann, D Coulibaly, D Steres, M Saldana, F Zubak
TOTAL SHOTS: 20 (Chicharito, 5); SHOTS ON GOAL: 9 (Chicharito, 3); FOULS: 15 (Chicharito, 4); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 5
Referee: Victor Rivas
Assistant Referees: Michael Barwegen, Eduardo Mariscal
Fourth official: Chris Ruska
VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
Weather: Sunny, 68 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
- Portland is 14-11-4 (46 pts) and in fourth place in the Western Conference.
- The Timbers eight game unbeaten streak (7-0-1) came to an end, dropping their first result since Aug. 29.
- Tonight’s loss concluded Portland’s four game road-win streak, the best in club history.
- The Timbers have the longest active streak for consecutive games with a goal scored (19) in the league.
- Sebastián Blanco tallied his fourth goal of the season.
- In 10 career appearances against the Galaxy, Blanco has tallied three goals and four assists.
- In his eighth appearance of the season, Santiago Moreno recorded his second assist.
- Jaroslaw Niezgoda made his first start of the season.
- Steve Clark recorded seven saves.
- Blanco led the team in shots (5) and shots on goal (3).
- The Timbers return to Providence Park on Oct. 20 tied for the most home wins (9) in the Western Conference.