Big double-game week for Timbers
The Portland Timbers return to Providence Park Wednesday to play host to Vancouver Whitecaps FC in a Cascadia Cup rivalry match (7pm PT, TICKETS, FOX 12 PLUS). Portland is looking to keep pace in the Western Conference in which they sit in fourth place – a spot that would guarantee them a home match in the first round of the Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs. The Timbers are also even with Seattle Sounders FC on points though behind on goal differential for the Cascadia Cup. Portland will need a win Wednesday to stay in the running with Seattle and then need Vancouver to defeat Seattle on Decision Day on Nov. 7 to lay claim to the Cup.
That match is not the only Timbers match this week as they will have a quick turnaround following Wednesday's game when they then travel to face the Colorado Rapids on Saturday, Oct. 23 (6pm PT, FOX 12 PLUS)., Saturday's match will be a big game as well. With midweek results still pending, trails third-place Colorado by five points and the chance to make up ground and move into third place remains a big opportunity for the Green-and-Gold.
NWSL Shield-winner Thorns have int'l break ahead of regular-season finale
Thorns FC, winners of the 2021 NWSL Shield Saturday with their 1-0 victory over the Houston Dash, have a break from NWSL play this coming weekend as numerous players head out for international duty.
Portland will then close out the regular season at Providence Park on Saturday, Oct. 30 against the North Carolina Courage (7pm PT, TICKETS, Twitch).
2021 NWSL Shield Scarf
Celebrate the Portland Thorns' 2021 NWSL Shield with this special edition scarf
ICYMI NWSL Shield Edition
Speaking of the NWSL Shield, you can pre-order a special Shield commemorative scarf (above), but also, here's some other fun facts that you may not have known about Sunday's big win over Houston:
- With the win, Portland secured their second NWSL Shield in club history. The Thorns won the NWSL Shield in 2016.
- Portland is the third club to win multiple NWSL Shields, joining Seattle Reign (2014, 2015) and the North Carolina Courage (2017, 2018, 2019).
- The victory also gave Mark Parsons his 82nd career NWSL win as a head coach – the most in league history
- Sunday's game-winning goal from midfielder Lindsey Horan (below) was the 25th of her career with Portland. She is just the third player to record 25 or more goals with the club
- Interestingly, Horan also scored the game-winning goal in the club's Shield-clinching win over the Western New York Flash in 2016.
Wish a happy birthday to these PTFC players this week:
- Oct. 18 - Thorns forward Morgan Weaver