The Portland Timbers are pleased to announce the second annual Youth Soccer Coach and Volunteer of the Year Awards. The club believes that participation in organized sports plays a vital role in the overall well-being of today’s youth and that it is important to recognize those that give of themselves so this opportunity is available for our kids.
With that thought in mind, the Timbers have developed an award to applaud deserving coaches and volunteers for their tireless efforts in assisting youth in their communities. The Coach and Volunteer of the Year awards recognize those who have demonstrated exemplary efforts in their ability to promote good sportsmanship and fair play, have a favorable attitude towards the game and players, all while offering quality instruction and support.
To commemorate their accomplishment and to assist in funding future development of their team/league, the Coach and Volunteer of the Year recipients will each be presented with a $500 check from the Portland Timbers.
Nominee Eligibility Requirements
- Coaches or volunteers with a team located within one of the four surrounding counties of the Portland metro area; Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas, or Clark County in SW Washington.
- Team is part of a league or organization that is affiliated with a recognized non-profit, registered as a 501(c)(3) with tax-exempt status from the IRS.
- Have coached or volunteered in either the current or previous year’s season.
- Serves in an unpaid role with their team or league.
- Works with kids in any age range of youth soccer.
How to Submit a Nomination
Individuals interested in submitting a nomination for Coach or Volunteer of the Year consideration should send a letter to the email or physical address below. While we commend all those who give of their time, only those fulfilling the eligibility requirements above will be considered for these particular awards.
Nomination letters should not exceed two pages in length and should include a brief description, accompanied by specific examples, of how the candidate exhibits the following criteria:
- Values of true sportsmanship and a winning attitude are a priority both on and off the field.
- A personal devotion to the youth soccer experience and its impact in the community.
- A desire for success within their own program, but also a willingness to assist other teams in finding their own success.
- Willingness to assist in communities where the need may be great.
- Through example, demonstrates a supporting and nurturing style that extends beyond the game being played.
- Promotes dignity, respect and integrity in all aspects of their preparation and implementation of the game.
Nominations will be accepted beginning April 6, 2009 and should be mailed or emailed to:
Coach/Volunteer of the Year
1844 SW Morrison St.
Portland, OR 97205
Please include contact information for both the nominee and the nominator for follow-up. Receipt of all letters will be acknowledged and supplemental information may be requested during the review process.
It is understood that these financial awards are to be used by the honorees individual teams and leagues for the benefit of youth soccer in their region.
Selection Process Timeline
April 6 – June 30 – Nomination letters accepted
July 1-22 – Nomination review
July 23 – Awards presentations at Portland Timbers home soccer match
*Nominee must be available for on-field awards presentation at the designated game.
We ask that all teams within the designated region consider nominations for the extraordinary efforts that so many individuals have made to their teams and communities. For more information, please contact community outreach manager Sierra Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or (503) 553-5430.