Providence Park Smoke May 3, 2014
@shawnlarowe Instagram

#PORvDC on #RCTID: The Portland Timbers vs. D.C. United day in social media

PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers returned home after consecutive road matches to take on a visiting D.C. United side. The City of Portland a palpable buzz in the air stemming from late-game dramatics in the Portland Trail Blazers playoff win the night before, and the Timbers continued a weekend of memorable moments n the Portland sports world as forward Maxi Urruti scored a game-winning goal four minutes into second-half stoppage time - literally on the final play of the match - to seal a 3-2 win over D.C. United. It was a delightful start to the night, too, with Timbers forward Gastón Fernández finding the back of the net just 34 seconds into the match, and the Timbers and United would battle it out under a pelting rain throughout the night. 

Let's take a look back on night: 

The Timbers had a three-game unbeaten streak against D.C. United entering the night, not having lost to the Eastern Confernece club since 2011. Well, let's make that four. 

After a beautiful week of weather in the Rose City, Portland's liquid sunshine poured down upon the pitch. But it wouldn't shake the Timbers faithful with another sellout crowd of 20,814.

That's a great question, @jeej815. It would only take 34 seconds into the match to find out as Fernández struck for the quickest goal in Timbers MLS history, leading to a 1-0 lead (and, of course, smoke). 

D.C. United was able to knot the score at 1-1 in the 21st minute on a goal by Davy Arnaud. But the Timbers came right back to take the lead before the half as defender Futty Danso, the program cover boy himself, found his first goal of the season in the 38th minute. 

We couldn't have said it any better ourselves, Anthony. 

In the second half, United was able to pull level once again on an own goal by Portland in the 78th minute. Portland pushed forward with chance after chance to snag all three points. Then, four minutes into stoppage time ... 

Providence Park errupted (wonder if we broke @jeej815's noise meter). Just 24 hours after the Trail Blazers' Damian Lillard hit a buzzer-beating three pointer to win the team's NBA playoff series, Portland witnessed another great play in the clutch as Urruti found the game-winner on what would be the last play of the game. The referee's whistle blew just moments later and the Timbers claimed all three points, extending the club's regular-season, home unbeaten streak to 20 games (12-0-8).  

A magical moment that will have the Rose City buzzing for yet  another night. Ok, let's see that goal again.