The Portland Timbers welcomed their first new player of 2018 to their ranks today with the signing of Costa Rican defender Julio Cascante. Here are five quick facts on the latest player:
- Still only 24, Cascante has 107 professional appearances (93 starts) in the Costa Rica Primera Division
- A one-time teammate of current Timbers David Guzmán and Roy Miller when the trio were all with Deportivo Saprissa.
- Cascante appeared in both CONCACAF Champions League matches against Portland during the 2016-17 tournament edition.
(USA Today Sports Images)
- During the 2017-18 Primera Divison season, Cascante has made 17 appearances (16 starts) for Saprissa, with the center back ranking among the team leaders for goals scored (6).
- Cascante made his pro debut with Orión F.C. in 2011 at the age of 18.