STEM sLAB returns, presented by Daimler Trucks North America, with Timber Joey sharing a fun refraction experiment you can do at home.
For this activity we will use
- A piece of paper
- A marker
- An empty glass cup or jar.
- Water to pour into the glass cup or jar.
- To start use your marker to draw two large arrows. One arrow should be drawn on the top half of the page, and the other should be drawn on the bottom half of the page. Make sure both arrows are facing the same direction.
- Place the empty glass on a table. Hold the paper behind the glass so that you can see the bottom arrow through the glass.
- Notice that nothing has changed, and the arrows still look the same.
- Now pour your water into the glass. Fill it almost all the way to the top.
- Hold the paper behind the full glass so that you can see the bottom arrow through the glass. Notice now that the bottom arrow is facing the opposite direction!