STEM sLAB, presented by Daimler Trucks North America, welcome Timber Joey as he shares some engineering activities in building bridges at home.
- A few pieces of construction paper
- Two stacks of books
- Start by making your two piles of books. Put them about 10 inches apart.
- To make your first bridge lay a single piece of paper across the books. Now start putting coins on it to see how strong it is.
- To make the second bridge, take the piece of paper and fold it in half (hot dog). How many coins can this bridge hold?
- For the third bridge fold the paper in half again (hot dog). Now fold a centimeter of each side up. Now put it on the books and see how many coins can fit on it!
- What kinds of other bridges could you create? Practice on your own and let us know which bridge is your strongest!