Portland Thorns Academy
Mission: The Portland Thorns Academy encompasses a holistic and goal-driven program to empower female athletes to maximize their potential, build confidence, and create leaders. Our integrated approach is focused on providing a pathway to collegiate, professional, and national team opportunities.
The Portland Thorns Academy is an elite training program for girls and young women U13-U19.
Our holistic approach to player development and the integration of the Portland Thorns FC is the driving force of our program. The Thorns Academy has direct interaction with the Portland Thorns FC, which includes opportunities to observe first team training, interaction with players, observation and training sessions by first team coaching staff, and tickets to Portland Thorns FC home games.
Our goal is for players to reach their peak performance as elite, well-rounded athletes. Our focus will be on giving players the opportunity to earn collegiate scholarships, National Team invites, and developing players to be drafted into the NWSL.
Portland Thorns Academy Program
Services & Support
- Voice In Sport is a female lead and run organization that offers support and education to female athletes on performance, conditioning, recovery, self-esteem, nutrition , leadership and mental health. Players will have several presentations from VIS throughout the season.
- College Resource and Preparation Program
- Social Media Training
- Video taping of all League and National Event matches
- Athletic Trainer at all Games
- Video analysis access
- Game film and video review sessions
- Individual development plans and evaluations
- Providence Play Safe Injury Management enrollment
- Coaching Staff will promote players to National Camp Scouts
- Coaching Staff will promote players to College Scouts
- Training up to 3x per week
- Futsal training for younger teams
Portland Thorns FC - First Team - OPPORTUNITIES
- Training at Providence Park (home of the Portland Thorns and Portland Timbers professional teams)
- Monthly opportunities to interact with Thorns FC players and coaching staff
- Tickets to Thorns FC home games for players (when team is playing)
- Potential training opportunities with Thorns first team
- Thorns Academy recognition/introduction at Thorns FC home game
- Opportunities to observe First Team training
- First Team coaching staff will observe and run training sessions
Elite Clubs National League - ECNL
The Thorns Academy play in the ECNL and will play up to 20 games against teams in the ECNL Northwest Conference.
Teams will play up to 20 games against other teams in the Northwest Conference.
In addition to League Games, teams will participate in select ECNL National Events, based on their age group. The National Events will draw college and national team coaches/scouts, increasing the the opportunities for players to be identified for National Camps as well as College Scholarship offers.