Mission and Core Values
The Portland Thorns Academy empowers female athletes to develop into women of character and community leaders. We prepare players for youth national teams, collegiate and professional opportunities in a positive, player-centered environment with a focus on a "One Club" mentality.
The Portland Thorns Academy will be a globally recognized leader in the development of elite soccer athletes. We will consistently produce players who will play with the Thorns first team.
The Portland Thorns Academy is an elite training program for girls and young women U13-U19, with Pre-ECNL teams at U11 and U12 age groups.
Our holistic approach to player development and the integration of Portland Thorns FC is the driving force of our program. The Thorns Academy has direct interaction with Portland Thorns FC, which includes opportunities to observe first team training, interaction with players, observation and training sessions by first team coaching staff, and tickets to Thorns FC home games.
Our goal is for players to reach their peak performance as elite, well-rounded athletes. Our focus will be on giving players the opportunity to earn collegiate scholarships, national team invites, and developing players to be drafted into the NWSL.
Portland Thorns Academy players grow through their successes and failures, put forth effort regardless of the outcome, and are relentless in their pursuit to grow as a player and as an individual.
Character and Integrity
Portland Thorns Academy players do the right thing even when no one is watching and contribute to a culture of respect.
Portland Thorns Academy players are selfless, supportive, and put community and inclusion before themselves. "One Club."
Services & Support
- College resource and preparation program
- Video taping of all league and national event matches
- Athletic Trainer at all games
- Video analysis access
- Game film and video review sessions
- Individual development plans and evaluations
- Providence Play Safe Injury Management enrollment
- Recommendations to and scouting by U.S. Youth National Team scouts and college coaches
- Regular attendance of college coaches to high school age teams at games and national events
- Training up to 3x per week
- Futsal training for younger teams
Portland Thorns FC - First Team - OPPORTUNITIES
- Training at Providence Park (home of the Portland Thorns and Portland Timbers professional teams)
- Monthly opportunities to interact with Thorns FC players and coaching staff
- Tickets to Thorns FC home games for players (when team is playing)
- Potential training opportunities with Thorns first team
- Thorns Academy recognition/introduction at Thorns FC home game
- Opportunities to observe First Team training
- First Team coaching staff will observe and run training sessions