1. Defender Emily Menges was selected in the third round of the 2014 NWSL College Draft. Last season, Menges was named to the 2016 NWSL Best XI. Menges says she has learned a lot in her four seasons with the club.
“It’s definitely been a learning experience. The transition out of college was not an easy one. I was lucky, especially with my rookie team, with how supportive everybody was just knowing that coming from college there’s a lot work that you have to do. It’s been unreal, and I’ve had a lot of fun.”
2. Menges says the 1-0 win over Seattle Reign FC on July 30, 2016, was one of her favorite memories at Providence Park.
“That will probably go down as one of my best memories ever. They all happened here in Portland.”
3. Former U.S. Women National Team players Mia Hamm and Michelle Akers were her favorite players growing up.
“As a little kid, I was in that prime age when the Gatorade commercial with Mia Hamm and Michael Jordan came out. It was also a prime age for the 1999 World Cup. My whole family was at The Red Caboose Motel, and we’re sitting in a caboose of a hotel room watching the World Cup. This is when Michelle Akers came off the field because of fatigue and then went back on the field and I’m thinking she’s a beast. Since then, that entire group of women inspired me.”
4. After living in Portland for four years, Menges has picked out some of her favorite places to eat around the city.
“I have tried pretty much every pizza place in Portland. Pizza is my favorite food. I love Oven and Shaker – that’s like a staple for me. I go out for breakfast before every game, and Industrial Café & Saloon is my go-to spot. I probably spend like 20 hours a week at Elephants Delicatessen.”
5. Menges says that midfielder Amandine Henry is the funniest player on the team.
“She doesn’t mean to be. I think it’s the language barrier. Her English has gotten a lot better, but it’s always little jokes about not knowing what she’s saying.”