A win or a draw will see Portland through plus other scenarios
NOTE: This article has been updated following Saturday's NWSL results.
Portland has clinched a spot in the 2023 NWSL Playoffs and secured a top-2 finish to earn a bye to the semifinals.
In the tight NWSL race for both the NWSL Shield and playoffs, Thorns FC head into the weekend against NJ/NY Gotham FC (2pm PT, TICKETS, FOX 12 PLUS, Paramount+) with a chance to clinch a spot in the postseason. Portland currently sit in second place (9-6-5, 32pts), one point behind first place San Diego.
In short, a win or a draw will see Portland through but there are other scenarios that could see the Thorns advance.
Portland will clinch a spot in the NWSL Playoffs IF:
- ✅ Portland wins or draws against Gotham on Saturday
- North Carolina draws with or loses to San Diego on Saturday
- Houston draws with or loses to Angel City on Sunday
Additionally, Portland can clinch a top 2 seed and a quarterfinal bye in the playoffs IF:
- ✅ Portland wins against Gotham on Saturday AND
- ✅ North Carolina draws with or loses to San Diego on Saturday