LANGFORD, B.C. – The Gold Medal Celebration Tour continued for Canada on Monday, B.C., with a pair of Thorns aiding Canada in a 2-2 draw against Nigeria at Starlight Stadium in the city of Langford on Vancouver Island.
The greatest international goal-scorer of all time, Christine Sinclair, added to her career tally. She pulled Canada level, 1-1, just after halftime, with a beautifully chipped shot over the goalkeeper after she won the ball as Nigeria tried to play out of the back. She now has 189 international goals. Let that Sinc in. * wink *
New Thorn Janine Beckie, who started for a second straight match, contributed to the late-match excitement for Canada. In the 87th minute, Beckie’s cross from the right side found the head of Shelina Zadorsky for the late equalizer.
More on Thorns on national team duty
- Sophia Smith becomes youngest USWNT player to score a hat trick in 20 years
- Rocky Rodríguez carries Costa Rica with a hat trick
- The Oregonian's Ryan Clark visits with LeBlanc, Wilkinson on Canada Hall of Fame induction
- Thorns take center stage on a special night in Canada
- Natalia Kuikka completing for Finland in UEFA FIFA World Cup qualifying