The Thorns' 11-game unbeaten streak comes to an end in Cary, NC.
The Portland Thorns FC were unable to recover from an early deficit, falling 3-1 on the road to the North Carolina Courage at Sahlen’s Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park on Wednesday evening. The loss was Portland’s first since May 21, 2022, seeing an 11-game unbeaten streak come to an end.
Thorns FC return home to play host to San Diego Wave FC on Aug. 27 at Providence Park.
Unbeaten Streak Ends
Portland suffered its first loss since May 21, 2022, snapping the team’s 11-game unbeaten streak that spanned from May 28-Aug. 10, 2022. It was the second-longest unbeaten streak in club history only bested by a stretch of 12 games unbeaten during the 2016 season. The loss was also Thorns FC’s first on the road in 2022 and their first loss on the road in NWSL regular season play since Sept. 25, 2021.
Goals + Assists
Rocky Rodríguez scored her first goal of the season in the match. She is the 13th different player to score a goal for Portland in 2022, which is the most players in a single season to score a goal in club history. Yazmeen Ryan notched her fifth assist on the year. Her five assists are the most in the NWSL this season. Notably, Ryan is the fifth different player in club history to record five or more assists in a single season.
NCC – Diana Ordoñez (Carson Pickett), 24th minute: Carson Pickett dribbled down the left side to the endline before playing a cross to the back post for Diana Ordoñez, who finished with a header from close range.
NCC – Debinha, 50th minute: Ryan Williams dribbled to the right edge of the box and played a cross into the center of the box for Debinha, who converted from the edge of the six-yard box near the left post.
POR – Rocky Rodríguez (Yazmeen Ryan), 63rd minute: Off a corner kick, Yazmeen Ryan served a ball into the center of the box and Rocky Rodríguez rose above multiple players and sent a header from close range into the back of the net.
NCC – Meredith Speck (Jaelene Daniels), 83rd minute: Carson Pickett’s corner kick was cleared, but the ball was played back into the box off the clearance by Jaelene Daniels, and Meredith Speck sent a glancing header just under the crossbar.
- Portland suffered its first loss since May 21, 2022, at home against the Houston Dash.
- Thorns FC had an 11-game unbeaten run that spanned from May 28-Aug. 10, 2022 – the second-longest unbeaten run in club history.
- The loss was Portland’s first loss on the road in 2022.
- Thorns FC were unbeaten in nine NWSL regular season road games entering the match. It was Portland’s first loss on the road in the regular season since Sept. 25, 2021, against the Chicago Red Stars.
- Twenty four of the 26 players on Portland’s active roster have earned at least one start in an NWSL regular season match this campaign.
- Rocky Rodríguez scored her first goal of the season. She is the 13th different player to score a goal for Portland this season.
- The team’s 13 goal scorers this season is the most goal scorers in a single season in club history.
- Yazmeen Ryan tallied her fifth assist of the season. Her five assists lead the NWSL.
- Ryan is the fifth player to register at least five assists in a single season: Tobin Heath (2018 – 7, 2016 - 10), Meghan Klingenberg (2017 – 6), Vero Boquete (2014 – 6) and Alex Morgan (2013 – 5).
- Kelli Hubly appeared in her 50th career NWSL regular season match.
- Hubly and Hina Sugita are the only two players to appear in every match for Thorns FC in 2022.
- Abby Smith earned her first NWSL regular season with Portland in the match.
- With Smith’s appearance, all three Thorns FC goalkeepers have earned at least one start in a regular season match in 2022.
- Emily Menges returned to the field for the first time since May 21, 2022, logging 26 minutes as a substitute.
For full stats and play-by-play, visit the NWSL Matchcenter.
Play by play
90'+4' Full time
North Carolina Courage 3, Portland Thorns 1.
90'+4' Thorns shot off the post
Olivia Moultrie hits the left post with a left footed shot from outside the box. Assisted by Raquel Rodríguez.
83' Goal for NC (3-1)
Meredith Speck (North Carolina Courage) header from very close range to the high centre of the goal. Assisted by Jaelene Daniels with a headed pass following a corner.
83' Abby Smith acrobatic save
Debinha (North Carolina Courage) right footed shot from outside the box is saved in the top left corner. Abby Smith with an acrobatic save.
63' Goal Thorns (2-1)
Raquel Rodríguez (Portland Thorns) header from very close range to the bottom right corner. Assisted by Yazmeen Ryan with a cross following a corner.
50' Goal for NC (2-0)
Debinha right footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom left corner.
45' Substitutions for Thorns
Natalia Kuikka replaces Meghan Klingenberg. Raquel Rodríguez replaces Janine Beckie.
24' Goal for NC (1-0)
Diana Ordóñez (North Carolina Courage) header from the right side of the six yard box to the centre of the goal. Assisted by Carson Pickett with a cross.
22' Attempt Saved
Sophia Smith right footed shot from the right side of the box is saved in the centre of the goal. Assisted by Meaghan Nally.