Portland Timbers vs. CD Olimpia
2014-15 CONCACAF Champions League
September 16 | 7 pm PT | Providence Park
TV: Fox Sports 1, UDN
Portland Timbers fans will be treated to the CONCACAF Champions League for the first time when Honduran champion CD Olimpia come calling Tuesday night at Providence Park. The Timbers opened their foray into CCL with a successful – yet extremely long – trip to Guyana, where they defeated Alpha United 4-1. Olimpia, meanwhile, also dispatched of the Group 6 minnows in both of their meetings, a 1-0 victory on Aug. 5 at Guyana's Providence Stadium and a 6-0 dismantling on Aug. 28 in Honduras. That leaves the two meetings between the Timbers and Olimpia, with the second set for Oct. 21 at Nacional Tiburcio Carías Andino, to likely decide who wins the group.
- TICKETS: Timbers vs. CD Olimpia
- The match against CD Olimpia is included as BONUS GAME C for Timbers season-ticket holders
BROADCAST INFO: The match will be broadcast on FOX Soccer 1 at 7pm PT.
Fox Soccer 1
Directv: 219 (HD)
Dish: 150 (HD)
Comcast: 408 / 723 (HD)
The game will also be streamed live on FoxSoccer2Go.com. This is a paid service, but they are currently offering a free 7 day trial when you sign up with a credit card which can then be cancelled within seven days to avoid any charges.
HONDURAN FIREPOWER: Olimpia did not hold back in their last CCL outing, a 6-0 demolishing (highlights below) that in all likelihood sent Alpha United crashing out of the tournament, despite what happens in their Sept. 23 away meeting with the Timbers. Olimpia got a hat trick from Fredixon Elvir, a brace from Honduras international Anthony Lozano and a goal from Oliver Morazan Torres in the rout, which followed up their 1-0 victory over Alpha in their group opener. And Noel Valladares, the Honduran national team’s starting goalkeeper, has kept a clean sheet in both outings.
BALANCE CCL AND MLS: Timbers head coach Caleb Porter has not understated the importance of CCL play, but the Tuesday’s game also comes at an extremely crucial time for Portland’s MLS Cup Playoff race. Following their 2-2 draw Saturday to the Colorado Rapids, the Timbers are next facing Cascadia rival Vancouver Whitecaps in a Saturday showdown (2 pm PT; NBCSN). Portland trail Vancouver by just one point, meaning a victory would allow them to control their postseason destiny over the course of the season’s final five games.
SQUAD ROTATION: Despite the Olimpia fireworks, Porter was not deterred in saying he'll keep with a squad rotation strategy to deal with the midweek CCL game sandwiched by two MLS contests.
CD OLIMPIA PLAYERS TO WATCH:
ANTHONY LOZANO, OLIMPIA – The Timbers will do well to keep all eyes on the 21-year-old forward, one of Olimpia’s most talented attackers who has seen time in Spain’s lower divisions before returning to his home country last year.
KIT COLOR: The Timbers will be wearing their Primary Green kits this evening.
- Check out the Stand Together 50/50 raffle. Learn more about its impact with AC Portland and in the community.
- Read about the numerous Oregon-based menu items at Providence Park.
- Find the free Timbers Photobooth and get your picture taken for free at the game.
- Info on water policy can also be found on The Backcut blog.
- E-cycle your old mobile phone.
- Sign up for Timbers Match Text Alerts. Text "ALERT" to 27299 to join. Match day alerts will send you notifications for goals, cards & more for instant updates on the match.
1. Get To The Stadium
2. Buy Tickets
3. Choose Your Entrance - KeyBank Club seats open two hours prior to kickoff. Gate 3 (Timbers Army Gate) opens two hours prior to kickoff for people with wristbands (see below) and then 90 minutes prior without wristbands along with Gates 1, 2, 4, & 5 - SEE SPECIAL ENTRY PROCEDURE FOR GATE 3 BELOW
4. Find Your Seat
5. Enjoy The Match
6. After The Match
Timbers Army Gate 3 Procedures
Due to the high demand for the best seats in the Timbers Army and our desire to provide a fair and consistent early entry procedure, we will be once again using a system of wristbands to help facilitate early entry at Gate 3 for Timbers Army fans at Providence Park. This has been done after consultation with the 107ist Board who will assist with additional volunteers to help with education and execution. For more details, please visit the Timbers Army Gate Wristband FAQ.