PORTLAND, Ore. – Coming back from a goal down, the Portland Timbers rushed back for a commanding 3-1 win over Minnesota United FC in their Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One match. Midfielder Sebastián Blanco scored a brace while defender Larrys Mabiala tallied his first goal of 2021. in the win.
- MATCHCENTER: Stats and Boxscore
Portland advanced to the Western Conference Semifinals against the Colorado Rapids in a nationally televised match on Thanksgiving (1:30pm PT, FOX).
7' - CHANCE (POR) - A cross from out wide right from Yimmi Chara nearly connected with forward Felipe Mora near the top of the six-yard box. The loose ball was collected by Portland with Cristhian Paredes firing a shot that went wide of the left post.
11' - GOAL (MIN) - Portland trailed 1-0 in the 11th minute as a deflected Minnesota pass slid across the face of goal for midfielder Franco Fragapane to score against the run of play.
21' - CHANCE (POR) - On a quick throw-in, Diego Chara chipped a ball over to Yimmi Chara. Chara cut inside the box but the ball squirted out for Sebastián Blanco. His shot went over the bar.
25' - SAVE (POR) - Goalkeeper Steve Clark made an alert save on a swerving free kick attempt from Minnesota's Emanuel Reynoso.
42' - CHANCE (POR) - On a Portland free kick from the left side, defender Dario Zuparic flicked the ball back where defender Larry Mabiala bicycle-kicked his attempt on frame only to have it deflect off a Minnesota defender up and over the net.
43' - GOAL - (POR) - Mabiala, however, would not be denied. On an ensuing corner kick, Portland equalized with Mabiala finding the back of the net. The Timbers took the corner short to Claudio Bravo on the left sideline. He lofted a cross into the mixer that the Portland centerback jumped to head into the back of the net and make the score 1-1.
47' - GOAL (POR) - Moments after the halftime, Portland took a 2-1 lead as Blanco capitalized on a weak Minnesota defensive clearance and rifled a shot to score for the Timbers.
61' - CHANCE (POR) - On a counter attack forward, Dairon Asprilla broke free on the break. He passed to Paredes on his right who then sent a ball to the back post that was inches from Yimmi Chara's out-stretched foot.
66' - GOLAZO (POR) - Blanco scored his second of the match in spectacular fashion to put Portland up 3-1. Defender Josecarlos Van Rankin made a great tackle to steal the ball at the midfield line. Dribbling into attack, he squared a pass to Blanco who, left with space outside the Minnesota box, unleashed a dipping shot that kissed the inside of the upper corner of the right post and glanced into the goal.
90+6' - CHANCE (POR) - Portland almost picked up another goal deep in stoppage time. Santiago Moreno raced down the left channel before playing a ball forward to Diego Valeri. Valeri got the ball around Minnesota goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair and hit a shot as he was falling that narrowly missed the left post.
Portland will next face the Colorado Rapids on Nov. 25 in the Western Conference Semifinals (1:30pm PT, FOX).
Portland Timbers (No. 4 Seed) vs. Minnesota United FC (No. 5 Seed) – Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One
Nov. 21, 2021 – Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
MIN: Fragapane (Métanire, Lod),11
POR: Mabiala (Bravo), 43
POR: Blanco, 46
POR: Blanco (Van Rankin), 66
POR: Blanco (caution), 19
MIN: Trapp (caution), 32
MIN: Gasper, 40
MIN: Boxall, 73
MIN: Fragapane, 85
POR: Mabiala, 86
MIN: Rosales, 86
MIN: Dibassy, 90+7
POR: GK Clark, D Van Rankin, D Mabiala, D Zuparic, D Bravo, M D. Chara ©, M Paredes, M Y. Chara (Valeri, 90+3), M Blanco (Moreno, 88), F Asprilla, F Mora (Niezgoda, 67)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, D McGraw, D Bonilla, D Tuiloma, M Loría, M Fochive
TOTAL SHOTS: 18 (Blanco, 6); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (Blanco, 2); FOULS: 15 (Mabiala, 4); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 5
MIN: GK St. Clair, D Métanire (Dotson, 56), D Boxall, D Dibassy, D Gasper, M Alonso, M Trapp (Rosales, 71), M Lod, M Reynoso, M Fragapane, F Hunou (Hansen, 71)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Zendejas, D Kallman, M Hayes, M Gregus, F Adi, F Agudelo
TOTAL SHOTS: 10 (Lod, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (Lod, Reynoso, 2); FOULS: 21 (Reynoso, 5); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 1
Referee: Armando Villarreal
Assistant Referees: Ian Anderson, Corey Rockwell
Fourth Official: Ted Unkel
VAR: Jon Freemon
Weather: Sunny, 44 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
- The Timbers hold an 9-6-6 record in MLS playoff matches.
- This is the Timbers’ fifth consecutive appearance to the playoffs, and seventh in the club’s MLS history (2013, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021).
- In 10 playoff matches at Providence Park, the Timbers hold a record of 4-2-4.
- Portland has advanced to the Western Conference Semifinals in four out of seven postseason appearances (2013, 2015, 2018, 2021).
- Qualifying for playoffs in each of his four seasons with Portland, head coach Giovanni Savarese holds a playoff record of 4-3-2.
- Savarese is the only head coach in Portland’s MLS era to record consecutive postseason appearances.
- Blanco registered his second brace in the last three matches, and fourth of his career with the Timbers.
- Blanco has scored five goals, tallying one assist in his last three matches for Portland.
- In nine postseason appearances, Blanco has recorded five goals and one assist.
- Mabiala scored his first goal of the 2021 season, and ninth in five seasons with the Timbers.
- Mabiala’s goal was his first in a playoff match with Portland.
- Claudio Bravo recorded his third assist of his 2021 campaign.
- Josecarlos Van Rankin tallied his fourth assist in his first year with the Timbers.
- Bravo, Santiago Moreno, Jaroslaw Niezgoda, and JoseCarlos Van Rankin each made their MLS playoff debuts.