PORTLAND, Ore. – Forward Jeremy Ebobisse scored late in the second half and the Portland Timbers defeated FC Dallas 1-0 in front of a crowd of 23,255 at Providence Park Saturday night.
Goalkeeper Steve Clark was credited with two saves and the Timbers earned their fourth clean sheet of 2021
- MATCHCENTER: Stats and Boxscore
43' - SAVE (POR) - Dallas broke out on a counter following a Portland corner kick. As they moved the ball around the Timbers 18-yard box, a chipped ball was sent to Paxton Pomykal who hit his shot on the volley but goalkeeper Steve Clark make a point-blank save.
45 - CHANCE (POR) - Following an FCD turnover in their own end, midfielder Dairon Asprilla pounced on the loose ball before driving a low shot on target that forced a diving save from Dallas goalkeeper Jimmy Maurer.
48' - CHANCE (POR) - Asprilla slipped a ball along the edge of the area for Yimmi Chara who sent a skipping shot just wide of the far post.
63' - CHANCE (POR) - Yimmi Chara sent a ball down the left sideline for Carlos VanRankin to run on to. The Timbers defender hit a long cross to the far post that Asprilla headed down but just wide of goal.
71' - SAVE (POR) - Clark made an alert stop down to his left on a corner kick header from Dallas' Franco Jara.
75' - CHANCE (POR) - On a short Portland corner kick, Diego Valeri and Yimmi Chara combined for a give-and-go that freed Valeri in the box. Valeri's fired shot was blocked by an FCD defender.
77' - CHANCE (POR) - The Timbers kept up the pressure with Yimmi Chara sending a square pass to Valeri atop the arc. Valeri's rising shot went just over the crossbar.
84' - GOAL (POR) - After patiently building all half, Portland's Jeremy Ebobisse put the Timbers ahead in the 84th minute. Yimmi Chara won the ball with a deft flick forward with his left boot to Ebobisse who darted down the middle. With Valeri on his right, Ebobisse feinted before smashing his shot top shelf past Maurer.
The Portland Timbers next play Los Angeles FC on Wednesday, July 21 at Providence Park (7:30pm PT, FS1).
Portland Timbers (5-6-1, 16pts) vs. FC Dallas (2-6-5, 11pts)
July 17, 2021 – Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
FC Dallas 0 0 0
Portland Timbers 0 1 1
POR: Ebobisse (Y. Chara), 84
POR: Bonilla (caution), 5
POR: Zuparic (caution), 52
FCD: Quignón (caution), 57
FCD: Pomykal (caution), 69
POR: GK Clark, D Bonilla (Bodily, 81), D Mabiala, D Zuparic, D Van Rankin, M Zambrano, M D. Chara ©, M Ebobisse, M Y. Chara (Tuiloma, 88), M Asprilla (Blanco, 81), F Mora (Valeri, 65)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, D McGraw, M Fochive, M Loría, M Paredes
TOTAL SHOTS: 11 (Asprilla, Y. Chara, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 2 (Asprilla, Ebobisse, 1); FOULS: 11 (D. Chara, 3); OFFSIDES: 2; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 2
FCD: GK Maurer, D Bressan ©, D Hollingshead, D Che, D Burgess, M Pomyka (Twumasi , 82)l, M Cerrillo (Sealy, 87), M Quignón, M Ferreira, M Pepi (Ricaurte, 87), F Jara (Obrian, 78)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Megiolaro, D Nelson, M Vargas, M Schön, M Servania
TOTAL SHOTS: 7 (Pepi, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 2 (Jara, Pomykal, 1); FOULS: 17 (Cerrillo, Quignón, 3); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 1
Referee: Joe Dickerson
Assistant Referees: Nick Uranga, Apolinar Mariscal
Fourth Official: Brandon Stevis
VAR: Sorin Stoica
Weather: Mostly sunny, 78 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
- Portland is 7-1-3 all-time against FC Dallas at Providence Park.
- Portland scored its 300th MLS goal at Providence Park in tonight’s match.
- Reopened to full capacity, Providence Park saw the largest attendance (23,255) for a sporting event in Oregon since the Timbers’ match versus Nashville SC on May 8, 2020.
- The Timbers recorded their third shutout of the season, and their second at home.
- Steve Clark tallied his first shutout of the 2021 campaign.
- Jeremy Ebobisse scored his team-best third goal of the 2021 campaign.
- Ebobisse has now scored in two consecutive matches, and in three of the Timbers’ last four matches.
- The goal was the 29th of Ebobisse’s career, and 25th in regular-season play.
- Yimmi Chara recorded his first assist of the season, and ninth of his career with Portland.
- With the start, Felipe Mora appeared in his first match since May 30 after being away with the Chilean National Team.
- Tonight’s start was Yimmi Chara’s first appearance in a match since May 30 after being away with the Colombian National Team.
- Sebastián Blanco made his third appearance of the season.
- Dario Zuparic, Josecarlos Van Rankin, Dairon Asprilla, and Diego Valeri are the only Timbers to appear in all 12 regular-season matches in 2021.
- Tonight was the first regular-season game Eryk Williamson did not feature in, who is away on national team duty at the Concacaf Gold Cup with the USMNT.
- Overall, the Timbers are 91-34-45 in regular-season play at Providence Park.