PORTLAND, Ore. – Headed goals on either side of halftime – one from Dairon Asprilla, one from George Fochive – gave Portland an important 2-1 victory over Los Angeles FC Sunday evening at Providence Park.
- MATCHCENTER: Stats and Boxscore
The win also extended Portland's unbeaten streak to five games.
3' - CHANCE (POR) - Midfielder Yimmi Chara dribbled towards the near corner flag before lofting a cross to the back post that Dairon Asprilla headed down but just wide of the left LAFC goalpost.
14' - SAVE (POR) - LAFC pushed forward into the Timbers box to get a shot off at close range that goalkeeper Steve Clark made the save on. LAFC recovered the loose ball but Portland defender Claudio Bravo blocked José Cifuentes' shot away for a corner.
21' - GOAL (POR) - Portland took a 1-0 lead in the 21st minute. On a Timbers corner kick, forward Felipe Mora, positioned near the top of the box, headed the ball towards goal where it bounced off a player to the near post. Sebastián Blanco looped his header off the cross bar but it fell to Asprilla on the far post who headed it into the goal.
27' - PK GOAL (LAFC) - LAFC tied the game at 1-1 as Cristian Arango converted a penalty attempt. Referee Chris Penso had awarded the penalty following an LAFC free kick from about 20 yards out that hit the Portland wall but was ruled a handball on Blanco.
29 - CHANCE (POR) - Coming down the other way, Blanco dribbled through the LAFC defense and hit a low shot that LAFC goalkeeper Tomas Romero dove to his left to save.
55' - CHANCE (POR) - Asprilla, with space, dribbled along the edge of the LAFC 18-yard box and hit a dipping shot that deflected off an LAFC defender and just wide of the left post.
59' - CHANCE (POR) - Asprilla chipped a ball across for Mora who bicycle-kicked it on frame but Romero made a diving save.
60' - SAVE (POR) - Clark made a nice save on an angled shot from LAFC's Brian Rodríguez. Rodríguez had received a rolled pass from Cifuentes on the left side but Clark was alert to make the stop.
68' - GOAL (POR) - Midfielder George Fochive, who had subbed on in the 61st minute, headed home Portland's go-ahead goal in the 68th. Blanco had quickly dispatched his defender along the LAFC endline before zipping a ball across the face of goal where Fochive raced in to smash home.
The Portland Timbers next match is Saturday, Sept. 25 when they host Real Salt Lake at Providence Park (7:30pm PT, TICKETS, FOX 12 PLUS).
Portland Timbers (11-10-4, 37pts) vs. Los Angeles FC (9-10-6, 33pts)
Sept. 19, 2021 – Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
POR: Asprilla, 21
LAFC: Arango (penalty kick), 27
POR: Fochive, 68
POR: Mabiala (caution), 24
POR: Blanco (caution), 27
POR: Bravo (caution), 42
POR: Valeri (caution), 83
POR: GK Clark, D Van Rankin, D Mabiala, D Zuparic, D Bravo, M D. Chara ©, M Paredes (Fochive, 61), M Y. Chara (Moreno, 78), M Blanco (Loría, 78), M Asprilla (Valeri, 61), F Mora (Niezgoda, 88)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, D Bonilla, D McGraw, M Zambrano
TOTAL SHOTS: 11 (Asprilla, Blanco, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Five players tied, 1); FOULS: 11 (D. Chara, 3); OFFSIDES: 4; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 1
LAFC: GK Romero, D Fall, D Murillo, D Ibeagha (Palacios, 75), D Kim, M Crisostomo, M Ginella (Musovski, 75), M Cifuentes (Duke, 85), F Arango, F Edwards (Blessing, 75), F Rodríguez
Substitutes Not Used: GK Blackman, D Harvey, D Farfan, F Jennings, F Torres
TOTAL SHOTS: 14 (Cifuentes, Rodríguez, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 2 (Arango, Cifuentes, 1); FOULS: 13 (Arango, 3); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 9; SAVES: 3
Referee: Chris Penso
Assistant Referees: Apolinar Mariscal Chantal Boudrawu
Fourth official: Malik Baldawi
VAR: Joshua Patlak
Weather: Rainy, 67 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
- The Timbers are undefeated in the last five matches (4-0-1), improving their overall record in the 2021 campaign to 11-10-4.
- Portland improved its home record in the 2021 regular-season campaign tonight to 7-3-2.
- The Timbers are unbeaten against LAFC in their last four matchups (2-0-2).
- Portland has scored a goal in 15 consecutive matches this season.
- Out of Portland’s 36 goals this season, 10 have been headers.
- The Timbers are 10-1-1 when scoring first this season.
- Dairon Asprilla scored his sixth goal of the 2021 campaign and 13th in the regular season with the Timbers since 2014.
- Asprilla is the only Timbers player to appear in all 25 regular season matches in 2021.
- George Fochive scored his second goal of the 2021 campaign after scoring his first MLS goal against Seattle on Aug. 15.
- Fochive is the eighth player to record two or more goals for the Timbers this season.
- Diego Valeri earned his 300th career appearance in all competitions for the Timbers.
- Claudio Bravo leads the league in tackles won (47) and is in third place in the league for interceptions made (50).
- Larrys Mabiala received his sixth card and will not be available for the next match due to yellow card accumulation.
- Dario Zuparic leads the team in minutes played this season with 1890.