PORTLAND, Ore. – The Portland Timbers lost 2-0 to the Philadelphia Union Sunday night at Providence Park.
- MATCHCENTER: Stats and Boxscore
5' - GOAL (PHI) - On a Philadelphia throw-in from deep in the Portland end, the ball was headed inside the six-yard box where Dániel Gazdag, back to goal, blooped an overhead shot into the lower corner of the net to put Portland down 1-0.
11' - SAVE (POR) - A Union free kick was played in quickly to Alejandro Bedoya in the box who fired a shot that Portland goalkeeper Aljaz Ivacic made a quick reaction save to stop.
27' - CHANCE (POR) - With Portland upfield for a corner kick, the ball was pushed out of the box by the Philly defense. However, midfielder Santiago Moreno recovered it and lofted a ball ahead for Bill Tuiloma near the back post but the defender's header went narrowly wide of the left post.
41' - CHANCE (POR) - The Timbers patiently cycled the ball around the far corner of the Union 18-yard box before moving it centrally to Moreno who turned and fired a rising shot that went just over the bar.
48' - GOAL (PHI) - The Union went up 2-0 when a cross from Kai Wagner was headed into goal by Philadelphia's Sérgio Santos.
69' - VAR DISALLOWED GOAL (POR) - Portland thought they had pulled a goal back when Sebastián Blanco smashed home a loose ball but the score was disallowed following Video Assisted Replay by referee Allen Chapman.
86' - CHANCE (POR) - Moreno slipped a pass through to midfielder Yimmi Chara who hit a tight-angled shot that Union goalkeeper Andre Blake quickly pushed away.
90+1' - CHANCE (POR) - Midfielder Diego Chara spotted Tuiloma making a run in on the left channel. He sent a ball over the top that Tuiloma hit on the volley but again Blake made a save.
The Portland Timbers return to play next Saturday, May 28 when they travel to take on Inter Miami CF (5pm PT, FOX 12 PLUS).
Portland Timbers (3-5-6, 15pts) vs. Philadelphia Union (6-1-6, 24pts)
May 22, 2022 – Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
PHI: Gazdag (Bedoya, Harriel), 5
PHI: Santos (Wagner), 48
PHI: Harriel (caution), 18
POR: D. Chara (caution), 48
PHI: Carranza (caution), 81
PHI: Burke (caution), 85
POR: GK Ivacic, D Van Rankin (Ayala, 80), D Tuiloma, D Zuparic (McGraw, 90+7), D Rasmussen (Mabiala, 66), M Paredes (Loría, 66), M D. Chara ©, M Williamson (Moreno, 15), Y. Chara, M Blanco, F Fogaça
Substitutes Not Used: D Bonilla, F Asprilla
TOTAL SHOTS: 12 (Fogaça, 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 2 (Y. Chara, Tuiloma, 1); FOULS: 12 (D. Chara, 6); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 11; SAVES: 2
PHI: GK Blake, D Wagner, D Harriel, D Elliot, D Glesnes, M Flach, M Gazdag, M Martinez, M Bedoya ©, F Carranza (Burke, 81), F Santos (Aaronson, 52)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Freese, D Findlay, D Mbaizo, D Real, M Bueno, M McGlynn, M Sullivan
TOTAL SHOTS: 12 (Carranza, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (Four players tied, 1); FOULS: 20 (Burke, 4); OFFSIDES: 2; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 2
Referee: Allen Chapman
Assistant Referees: Mike Rottersman, Michael Barwegen
Fourth Official: Michael Radchuk
VAR: Younes Marrakchi
Weather: Mostly sunny, 71
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
- Sunday’s loss marked the first time Portland has lost at home to Philadelphia. The Timbers are 6-3-3 all-time against the Union and 4-1-1 at Providence Park.
- The Timbers were shut out for just the second time at home this season, and just the fourth time in 14 matches in 2022.
- Portland has played four Eastern Conference side matches this season, earning three points (1L, 3D). Three of the four matches were played at Providence Park (New England, Orlando, Philadelphia).
- The Timbers played their fifth match in a 16-day span, playing two midweek matches on the road (LAFC, San Jose Earthquakes).
- Portland finished the match with 65.9% possession over the Union.
- Larrys Mabiala made his 115th appearance with the Timbers in the match.
- Zac McGraw entered as a late game substitute, making his 20th appearance with Portland.
- Diego Chara received his 99th regular season yellow card.
- D. Chara finished the match with a 97% passing accuracy, completing 66 out of 68 passes.
- D. Chara will miss Portland’s next match due to yellow card accumulation.