Santiago Moreno, Felipe Mora each score for second straight match
Numbers in the Attack
Portland has scored multiple goals in eight straight matches, tallying 18 in that span. Eighteen goals scored since August 26 is the second-most goals scored by any team in the league during that span, trailing only the Galaxy (20). In that eight-match span, four Portland players have registered five or more goal contributions a piece – Felipe Mora (5G, 2A), Evander (4G, 1A), Santiago Moreno (3G, 3A), Dairon Asprilla (1G, 5A). Moreno tallied his third goal of the season, while Mora notched his fifth goal and second assist of the campaign. Asprilla recorded his fifth assist of the season, a single-season career best for the Colombian winger. Notably, Mora and Moreno both scored in back-to-back games for Portland, while Asprilla tallied three assists in the Timbers’ last two matches.
With tonight’s result, Portland sits in seventh place of the Western Conference standings with 43 points, which is tied with Real Salt Lake and Vancouver Whitecaps FC sitting in fifth and sixth respectively, and just three points away from second-place Seattle Sounders FC (46pts). Entering the final stretch, 12 of 14 Western Conference teams are in contention for the last eight remaining spots in the playoffs. With two remaining matches in the regular season, Portland will next face Eastern Conference side C.F. Montreal (Oct. 7) on the road and Western Conference opponent Houston Dynamo FC (Oct. 21) at Providence Park.
Milestones of the Night
Goalkeeper David Bingham made his 200th appearance in MLS regular season play tonight. Bingham has played 96 regular season matches for the San Jose Earthquakes, 85 for the LA Galaxy and 19 for the Timbers. Defender Larrys Mabiala made his 150th regular season appearance with the Timbers. Mabiala is just the seventh player in club history to reach that milestone. Midfielder Sebastián Blanco made his 200th appearance across all competitions for Portland.
POR – Santiago Moreno (Dairon Asprilla, Felipe Mora), 5th minute: Felipe Mora controlled the ball with his chest and sent the ball wide to Dairon Asprilla, who from the right side of the field dribbled inside and crossed the ball into the top of the six-yard box. Santiago Moreno sped through two defenders and finished the play with a right-footed shot into the middle of the goal.
LA – Eriq Zavaleta (Douglas Costa), 10th minute: Off a corner kick, Douglas Costa served the ball into the penalty-kick area and Eriq Zavaleta put the Galaxy on the scoring sheet with a header goal.
POR – Eriq Zavaleta (own goal), 38th minute: Juan David Mosquera sparked a combination play with Santiago Moreno and Felipe Mora at the top of the box. Mora, inside the box, shot a right-footed ball that was deflected by Galaxy defender Eriq Zavaleta, forcing an own goal.
LA – Douglas Costa (Raheem Edwards), 43rd minute: Raheem Edwards took a touch on a ball that was redirected towards the top of the 18-yard box, where Douglas Acosta stood unmarked. On his first touch, Acosta finished the play by firing a left-footed shot into the upper-right corner of the goal.
LA – Eriq Zavaleta (Douglas Costa), 45+1 minute: Douglas Costa served a free-kick ball towards the top of the six-yard box for Eriq Zavaleta, who headed the ball into the lower-right corner of the goal.
POR – Felipe Mora, 76th minute: Running through the left side of the field, Sebastián Blanco crossed a ball into the box where Franck Boli was denied a shot. Through the deflection, Felipe Mora pounced on the loose ball and took a right-footed shot that ended inside the right side of the goal.
The Portland Timbers will travel to Quebec next weekend to face CF Montréal at Stade Saputo on Saturday, Oct. 7. Kickoff is 4:30pm PT on MLS Season Pass on Apple TV.
- With tonight’s result, Portland sits in seventh place of the Western Conference standings with 43 points, which is tied with Real Salt Lake and Vancouver Whitecaps FC sitting in fifth and sixth respectively.
- The Timbers are unbeaten in seven straight matches (5-0-2).
- It marks the longest active unbeaten streak in MLS.
- Portland has scored multiple goals in eight straight matches, tallying 18 in that span.
- Eighteen goals scored since August 26 is the second-most goals scored by any team in the league during that span, trailing only the Galaxy (20).
- In that eight-match span, four Portland players have registered five or more goal contributions a piece – Felipe Mora (5G, 2A), Evander (4G, 1A), Santiago Moreno (3G, 3A), Dairon Asprilla (1G, 5A).
- Mora tallied his fifth goal and second assist of the season tonight.
- It marked Mora’s second appearance with a goal and an assist in Portland’s last four matches.
- Moreno registered his third goal of the season.
- Mora and Moreno both scored in back-to-back games for Portland.
- Asprilla recorded his fifth assist of the 2023 campaign.
- Five assists is a new single-season career best for Asprilla.
- Asprilla has tallied three assists in Portland’s last two matches.
- Four different players have tallied five or more assists for the Timbers this season (Asprilla, Bravo, Moreno, Mosquera).
- David Bingham made his 200th appearance in MLS regular season play tonight.
- Larrys Mabiala made his 150th regular season appearance with the Timbers.
- Sebastián Blanco made his 200th appearance across all competitions for Portland.
Portland Timbers (11-11-10, 42pts) vs. LA Galaxy (8-11-11, 35pts)
Sept. 30, 2023 – Dignity Health Sports Park (Carson, Calif.)
POR: Moreno (Asprilla), 5
LA: Zavaleta (Costa), 10
POR: Zavaleta (own goal), 38
LA: Douglas Costa (Raheen Edwards), 43
LA: Zavaleta (Costa), 45+1
POR: Mora, 76
LA: Delgado (caution), 13
LA: Yoshida (caution), 54
POR: Moreno (caution), 62
POR: GK Bingham, D Bravo (Miller, 91), D McGraw, D Zuparic, D Mosquera, M Acosta, M Paredes (Caliskan, 36), M Moreno, F Asprilla (Boli, 71), F Mora © (Mabiala, 91), F Antony (Blanco, 71)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Sulte, D Araujo, M Loría, F Y. Chara
TOTAL SHOTS: 12 (Mora, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (Mora, 2); FOULS: 15 (Acosta, 4); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 6, SAVES: 2
LA: GK Bond, D Edwards, D Cuevas, D Zavaleta, D Yoshida ©, M Rosell, M Boyd (Barrios, 83), M Delgado (Aguirre, 67), M Cerrillo (Leerdam, 83), F Costa (Fagundez, 58), F Sharp (Joveljic, 67)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Micovic, D Alfaro, D Aude, M Perez
TOTAL SHOTS: 10 (Yoshida, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Boyd, Zavaleta, 2); FOULS: 14 (Boyd, 3); OFFSIDES: 4; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 2
Referee: Joe Dickerson
Assistant Referees: Jose Da Silva, Adam Garner
Fourth Official: Ricardo Fierro
VAR: Malik Badawi
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 63 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial.