Timbers, Whitecaps end in 0-0 draw at PGE Park

PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers continued their scoring drought as they battled Northwest rival the Vancouver Whitecaps to a 0-0 draw in front 8,652 at PGE Park on Saturday. Despite a one-man advantage for 54 minutes, Portland was held scoreless for its second straight match.


With the draw, Portland (11-4-7, 40pts) remains in first place in the USL First Division as the second-place Seattle Sounders played the Minnesota Thunder to a 2-2 draw on Saturday. The Timbers hold onto a one-point lead over Seattle in the USL First Division standings. At PGE Park this season, the Timbers are 7-0-6.

Despite its second consecutive shutout, Portland extended its winless streak to six matches. The Timbers are 0-2-4 in their last six matches and has only scored one goal over that span. Forward Bryan Jordan appeared to break the scoreless streak, but had his 80th minute goal cancelled due to a foul called in the box.  
The Whitecaps (7-6-9, 30pts) also extended their winless streak and have now earned a draw in their last three matches. Vancouver's last win was on June 22.
Portland earned a one-man advantage in the 26th minute when Vancouver's Steve Kindel was ejected after a violent collision with Timbers midfielder Luke Kreamalmeyer on a ball in the air near the benches. Kindel was issued a straight red card by referee Ian Anderson.
The one-man advantage helped the Timbers maintain the run of play in the first half as they outshot the Whitecaps 6-0. Midfielder Andrew Gregor took a shot from the top of the box in the sixth minute that flew wide of the goal. In the 28th minute, Portland forward Jaime Ambriz, who made his first USL First Division start, sent a low line drive from 12 yards out just wide of the left post.
In the second half, Portland maintained its offensive pressure and thought it had taken the lead late in the match on a goal by Jordan. Second half substitute Neil Dombrowski played a ball from 40 yard out to the back post. Jordan lept in the air to challenge Vancouver goalkeeper Richard Goddard for the ball and appeared to knock it into the net. But Anderson denied the goal with a hand ball call.
Timbers goalkeeper Josh Wicks delivered one of his two saves late in the match to keep the score locked at 0-0. Vancouver midfielder Alfredo Valente unleashed a 40-yard shot heading for the top left corner. Wicks made a diving save to send the ball over the crossbar and preserve his 11th shutout of the season.
Head coach Gavin Wilkinson and the Timbers hit the road for their next match on Aug. 16 against the Minnesota Thunder at James Griffin Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 5:05 p.m. (Pacific); a live broadcast will be available on www.portlandtimbers.com. Portland plays five of its last six matches on the road.
POR: GK Wicks, D Griffin, D J. Thompson, D Knowles, D S. Thompson, M Higgins, M Poltl (Dombrowski, 68), M Gregor, M Kreamalmeyer (Olum, 85), F Taylor (Hague, 77), F Ambriz (Jordan, 63)
VAN: GK Goddard, D Kindel, D Lyall, D Martin (Cann, 77), D Kambere, M Clarke, M Nash (Valente, 77), M Donatelli (Morris, 57), M Roberto, F Hansen (McLaughlin, 66), F Marcina (Jordan, 87)
Scoring Summary:

Single-Game Seats Available Here

Don’t miss your chance to guarantee the best seats before they’re gone.