Mora scored a late goal but season comes to a close for Portland
PORTLAND, Ore. – The Portland Timbers dropped a 3-1 result to Houston Dynamo FC in their season finale at Providence Park on Saturday night. After falling behind 3-0 in the match, Felipe Mora put Portland on the board in the 80th minute of the match with his sixth goal of the season, but the Timbers were unable to complete the comeback. The match marked the conclusion of Portland’s 2023 campaign.
2023 in Review
The Timbers (11-13-10, 43pts) finished the 2023 regular season in 10th place of the Western Conference standings, narrowly missing the postseason by one point. Santiago Moreno and Dario Zuparic led the team in appearances (31) this season, while Zuparic tallied the most starts (31). Evander scored a team-best nine goals and recorded a team-high 23 points (9G, 5A). Moreno led the Timbers in assists with nine, a new career best for the Colombian midfielder. Cristhian Paredes was named the Supporters’ Player of the Year. In 28 appearances (22 starts) this season, Paredes tallied two goals and three assists.
Portland had 17 different players score a goal this season, a new club record. The Timbers also had 20 different players tally an assist in the 2023 campaign, setting a new club record and tying the league’s all-time single-season record. Thirteen different players recorded at least one goal and one assist for Portland this season, marking another club record. Lastly, 31 Timbers players made an appearance and earned a start this year, beating the club’s previous best of 29 and 28, respectively.
HOU – Griffin Dorsey (Héctor Herrera), 11th minute: Héctor Herrera played a Houston corner kick into the box at the near post and Griffin Dorsey headed it in.
HOU – Adalberto Carrasquilla, 48th minute: Adalbert Carrasquilla collected a loose ball at the corner of the six-yard box and finished a shot into the back of the net.
HOU – Griffin Dorsey (Adalberto Carrasquilla, Héctor Herrera), 71st minute: At the top of the 18-yard box, Carrasquilla slipped a pass into the box for Dorsey, who took a touch before firing a shot into the upper corner of the goal.
POR – Felipe Mora, 80th minute: Evander played a long diagonal ball into the box from the left side of the field. Felipe Mora slid to reach the ball and drilled a half volley into the roof of the goal from the top of the six-yard area.
- The Timbers (11-13-10, 43pts)finished the 2023 regular season in 10th place of the Western Conference standings, missing the postseason by one point.
- Portland scored in 10 straight matches, tallying 20 in that span, all under interim head coach Miles Joseph.
- Felipe Mora scored his sixth goal of the 2023 campaign.
- Mora recorded eight goal contributions (6G, 2A) in Portland’s last 10 matches.
- Evander tallied his fifth assist of the season.
- Diego Chara completed 42 of 44 passes tonight for a 95.5% passing completion rate.
- Portland outshot Houston 15-7 in tonight’s match.
- Santiago Moreno and Dario Zuparic led the team in appearances (31) this season, while Zuparic tallied the most starts (31).
- Evander scored a team-best nine goals and recorded a team-high 23 points (9G, 5A).
- Moreno led the Timbers in assists with nine, a new career best for the Colombian midfielder.
- Cristhian Paredes was named the Supporters’ Player of the Year.
- In 28 appearances (22 starts) this season, Paredes tallied two goals and three assists.
Portland Timbers (11-13-10, 43pts) vs. Houston Dynamo FC (14-11-9, 51pts)
Oct. 21, 2023 – Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
HOU: Dorsey (Herrera), 11
HOU: Carrasquilla, 48
HOU: Dorsey (Carrasquilla, Herrera), 71
POR: Mora (Evander), 80
HOU: Micael (caution), 40
HOU: Escobar (caution), 42
HOU: Carrasquilla (caution), 45+4
POR: D. Chara (caution), 66
HOU: Herrera (caution), 67
POR: McGraw (caution), 74
POR: GK Bingham, D Mosquera (Boli, 72), D Zuparic, D McGraw, D Bravo (Antony, 82), M D. Chara ©, M Paredes (Blanco, 59), M Evander, F Y. Chara (Asprilla, 59), F Mora ©, F Moreno
Substitutes Not Used: GK Sulte, D Araujo, D Mabiala, D Miller, M Acosta
TOTAL SHOTS: 15 (three players tied, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (Moreno, Evander, 2); FOULS: 11 (Evander, 3); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 11, SAVES: 3
HOU: GK Clark, D Escobar, D Micael, D Sviatchenko, D Dorsey, M Herrera, M Artur, M Quiñónes (Smith, 84), M Bassi (Caicedo, 85), M Carrasquilla (Steres, 90), F Baird (Ibrahim, 70)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Tarbell, D Hadebe, M Franco, M Kowalczyk, F Ulfarsson
TOTAL SHOTS: 7 (Dorsey, Quiñónes, 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (Dorsey, Quiñónes, 2); FOULS: 12 (Carrasquilla, 4); OFFSIDES: 4; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 5
Referee: Rubiel Vazquez
Assistant Referees: Stefan Tanaka-Freundt, Justin Howard
Fourth Official: Armando Villarreal
VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
Weather: Cloudy, 60 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial.