The Portland Timbers dropped a 3-1 result to Real Salt Lake in their regular-season finale at America First Field on Sunday afternoon. After falling behind three nil in the match, Dairon Asprilla put Portland on the board in the final minutes of the match with his 10th goal of the season, but the Timbers were unable to complete the comeback. The match marked the conclusion of Portland’s 2022 campaign.
2022 in Review
The Timbers (11-10-13, 46pts) finished the 2022 regular season in eighth place of the Western Conference standings and one point out of playoff position, failing to earn a playoff berth for the first time in six seasons. Yimmi Chara and Santiago Moreno were the only two players to appear in every match this season for the Timbers, and Y. Chara earned the most starts (33) for Portland in 2022. Dairon Asprilla led the team in goals scored (10) and tied Sebastián Blanco and Santiago Moreno for a team-high 22 points tallied in the 2022 campaign.
RSL – Jefferson Savarino (Bryan Oviedo), 19th minute: From the left wing, Bryan Oviedo played a square ball into Jefferson Savarino, who dribbled towards the top of the 18-yard box and curled a shot just inside of the right post.
RSL – Rubio Rubin (Bryan Oviedo, Jefferson Savarino), 48th minute: Just inside of the box, Savarino slipped a through ball towards the endline for Oviedo to run onto and fire a one-touch cross towards the penalty spot. Rubio Rubin drove a left footed shot on frame, taking a deflection off Bill Tuiloma and into the back of the net.
RSL – Bode Hidalgo (Jasper Löffelsend), 82nd minute: Gaining possession of the ball on the Timbers’ endline, Jasper Löffelsend cut back a pass on top of the six-yard box finding Bode Hidalgo, who finished a right-footed shot into the goal.
POR – Dairon Asprilla (Larrys Mabiala), 87th minute: *Larrys Mabiala poked a loose ball in the box back towards the top of the arch for Dairon Asprilla, who placed a one-time shot into the right side of the goal.
- Portland finished the 2022 regular season in eighth place of the Western Conference standings and one point out of playoff position.
- The Timbers failed to earn a playoff berth for the first time in six seasons.
- Portland scored in its last 20 matches, tallying 33 goals during that span.
- The Timbers scored in 30 of their 34 games this season, only LAFC (31) have scored goals in more matches.
- Portland scored 39 second-half goals in 2022, which ranks as the third-most in MLS behind only LAFC (45) and Austin FC (40).
- The Timbers scored in 12 straight away matches.
- Dairon Asprilla notched his team-leading 10th goal of the season.
- Asprilla scored a career high 10 goals in back-to-back seasons (2022, 2021).
- Asprilla finished the 2022 campaign tied for a team-best 22 points with Sebastián Blanco and Santiago Moreno.
- Larrys Mabiala tallied his first assist of the season.
- Mabiala has recorded an assist in three straight seasons and in four of his six campaigns with Portland.
- Mabiala became Portland’s 12th player to register an assist in the 2022 campaign.
- Yimmi Chara and Santiago Moreno were the only two players to appear in every match this season for the Timbers.
- Y. Chara earned the most starts (33) for Portland in 2022.