Camp Report: Road trip to Vancouver

Rookie midfielder Josh Cameron got his first taste of the USL First Division last week as the Timbers faced the Vancouver Whitecaps in a preseason friendly on the road. He details his trip north in his latest Camp Report.
Here is Josh’s Camp Report:
Sorry it’s been a while since my last post. Well last week we had a hard week of training before heading off to Canada for a preseason match against our only real Northwest rival now, the Vancouver Whitecaps.
We left Thursday morning for the six or so hour drive. It was a pretty smooth ride and everything went great until we got to the border of course. We got up to Vancouver in about 7 hours. Once we got up there, we checked into the hotel, changed quickly and went and had a short training session to get our legs going, loosen up a bit after the ride. At training we did some possession and some shooting, than we had some time to our selves to work on anything we’d like. I did some crossing with Ryan and Jason finishing.
After the session, we went back to the hotel, showered and met to go to dinner. Everyone kind of went everywhere. I ended up going to Boston Pizza with about 8 other guys. I had a pretty good pepperoni pizza. After we finished George, Keith and I went up the road and got some breakfast stuff so we wouldn’t have to worry about it in the morning than walked back to the hotel. I went to bed shortly after.
I roomed with Alex Nimo … In the morning, Alex went to breakfast and I stayed in the room and watched some TV and ate my breakfast as I prepared for the game. We got to the field ready and excited to play. The game started out pretty good; I felt we controlled the tempo of the game for the most part in the first half. Halftime came and it was tied 0-0. We started the second half pretty strong, controlling possession and playing pretty good. As the half went on the game started to open up and they eventually scored on a rebound shot. From that point we kept the pressure up and were able to get one back from a brilliant play and cross from Nishimura finished by Johan. We continued with the pressure and almost got a few more. The game ended in a tie. We played pretty good. Our fitness level was pretty good and we were happy with our improvements from our previous game.
We headed home after the game and got back into Portland around 11 p.m. that night. The trip was good and I look forward to the next one. It’s been a great experience thus far for me. Getting to know my new teammates has been great. I feel very lucky to get this opportunity and can’t wait to learn and grow through this experience. Until next time … Take care.
Posted by: Josh Cameron