TUCSON, Ariz. – In the third of four preseason matches during their two-week camp in Tucson, Ariz., the Portland Timbers received a second-half brace from forward Jack McInerney in a 2-1 victory over Seattle Sounders FC before 3,112 fans Saturday night at the Kino Sports Complex.
Continuing their preseason build-up in their third match, the majority of the Timbers first group saw 60 minutes for the first time in Saturday’s match, while a total of 22 players saw action on the field for Portland. With the Timbers fielding the same starting XI as the previous game against Houston, Saturday’s match marked the third straight game Portland held its opponent scoreless in the first half during the preseason.
After a scoreless first half, forward Darwin Jones gave Sounders FC a brief lead with a 53rd-minute strike just inside the left post, but, in the 66th minute, Timbers defender Andy Thoma delivered a pinpoint cross into the box to McInerney, who finished with a one-touch shot near the penalty spot to level the score.
Remaining on the front foot, the Timbers found the go-ahead goal late in the match as McInerney, who came on at halftime, became the first player to register a brace in a preseason match for Portland. Working the ball down the right side of the field, defender Taylor Peay sent a cross into the middle of the box and McInerney converted from close range in the 84th minute to give the Timbers a 2-1 advantage.
Next up, the Timbers conclude their slate of games in Tucson by taking on Real Salt Lake on Thursday, Feb. 11, at the Kino Sports Complex at 10:30 a.m. (Pacific). Thursday’s match will be available via live web stream at www.timbers.com.
- Utilizing two different lineups during the match, 22 different players saw action Saturday for Portland against Seattle.
- Wednesday’s match marked the fourth meeting between Portland and Seattle in the preseason and the first since 2014.
- Midfielder Jack Jewsbury saw his first action of the 2016 preseason in Saturday’s match.
- Portland’s first-half group has held their opponent scoreless in each its first three preseason matches.
- Forward Jack McInerney became the first Timbers player to register a brace in a preseason match and eighth player to score multiple goals in the preseason.
- The Timbers will wrap up their two-week training camp in Tucson on Thursday before returning to Portland on Friday.
Portland Timbers vs. Seattle Sounders (MLS Preseason)
Feb. 6, 2016 – Kino Sports Complex (Tucson, Ariz.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Seattle Sounders 0 1 1
Portland Timbers 0 2 2
SEA: D. Jones, 53
POR: McInerney (Thoma), 66
POR: McInerney (Peay), 84
POR: Peay (Caution), 52
POR: GK Kwarasey (Gleeson, 61), D Powell (Peay, 46), D Borchers (Morley^, 61), D Taylor (Manning, 61), D Valentin (Thoma, 61), M Zemanski (Besler, 61), M Chara (Jewsbury, 46), M Asprilla (Brett^, 61), M Valeri (Polk^, 61), M Melano (Avila*, 46), F Adi (McInerney, 46)
SEA: GK Frei, D Fisher, D Lowe, D Marshall, D Remick, M Roldan, M Fribeg, M Sturgis, F Martins, F Valdez, F Kovar
SEA: GK Miller, D Mears, D Chen, D Scott, D J. Jones, M Alonso, M Mathers, M Ivanschitz, F Samuel (Anderson, 71), F Mansaray, F D. Jones
* Trialist/guest player; ^ 2016 MLS SuperDraft pick